Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Sanity check or checked....

Yesterday morning, I managed to catch up on my breakfast at my favourite pau shop in Tangkak.  As I stepped into the shop the pau lady squealed in delight that she has not seen me for ages.I mumbled something about how work constraint that had restricted my journey there when in actual fact, I did not have the opportunity to pass by this shop for my work. Anyway, I ordered my usual meal and enjoying the freshly brewed coffee minus the sugar. As I sat there dreaming into oblivion, I must admit that for the past few days, I don't know what I was doing and what I was feeling inside my heart and my head. At times, I could feel as though the canyon of my mind is empty while at times, it is fully packed to the brim and spilled over. The guys called it  " kueh teow over fried" period! I guess, the mind is the only sane part of a human being like me. Lose your mind and you'll definitely line up and collect your dues for being an "invalid" and be decoratively labelled as a confirmed lunatic, though, in these days we are already lunatics in this crazy exasperated world we lived in!

My mind had been crammed so much these days that I just wish I could remove them for while and compartmentalised them accordingly. Somehow, everything seemed to be urgent, super urgent and dead set urgent! Then while I was having my meal, a couple with two kids asked if they could share a table with me as there were no seats available at the other tables at that time. Without hesitation, I said that they are free to join me at the table. The young couple and their two kids sat down and ordered their food. Within minutes, food came and the ruckus started. Yunno, for once, I was amazed with myself that I did not react instead I was stoic-faced. Somehow, I just didn't care what they do. Rice fell off the plates, drinks splatter on the table while the lady was scolding her husband for staining his pagoda t-shirt with coffee drips and the ruckus continues. What's wrong with me? I guess, a part of me died inside of me. I just didn't want to care anymore or should I say, I have become ...... numb. Hmmmmnnnnn.... so have my fuse finally blow out on me? Seriously, I don't know. I ate my food quietly but I couldn't help it. The messiness irked me. Or perhaps I am getting old and senile?! Then I kinda checked myself mentally- I am still able to bring the food in the spoon to my mouth, chew, swallow and do this countless number of times. So, THANK GOD , I am still young and capable!

Anyway, the mess was unbearable and the bickering couple is something I would rather miss. As I tasted every piece of chicken pieces I put in my mouth, I eye-balled the kids on my table. Somehow, the stare stopped them dead on their tracks at what they were doing. I kinda take every bite of my chicken slowly and purposely crunched and grind the bones so that the  grinding part is audible to the kids ears. Yup, the "harassment" stopped. No more messy food and the kids were eating their food quietly. At every possible angle, I would eye-balled the kids intently each time they tried to be funny. So, my ordeal or their ordeal ended as I finished my meal. I chugged down the coffee, cleaned my area and left the table but not before I left another stare at the kids. The parents seemed oblivious of what were happening and I liked it that way. Can't stand indiscipline kids!

I was just trying to have some peace and quiet while having breakfast and evaluate the position I've been in these few days. Somehow, the kids broke the monotony of life a bit but seriously, I can't stand "sotong" parents. Yup, the kind that just say nice things or so-called "positive" things to their kids and spoil them to rots! Felt like saying to them what an elderly nurse in Sabah used to say to such parents : " Buat anak saja pandai tapi jaga tak tau. Anak macam hantu!" Yup, spare the rod and spoil the child! Anyway, someone in my office remarked that I was mean to those kids and especially those stares are actually mean too. Well, I wouldn't know, actually. Hey look, if you really must know, I don't actually possessed a face like Brad Pitt or Al Pacino or any movie star ,ok? So, of course, I looked seasoned and those lines on the face are real testament of times I have gone through, ok? So, yeah, I scare the daylights out of children with face like mine but that kept them in line and that's all that matters, yah?  I tell you, there are some kids who are like mini-monsters instead of mini-ministers of good will, man! Wait till you meet some of these mini monsters and you tell me whether I need to use my face or the rotan! Yeah, just as I thought - the ROTAN and some good spanking, right? Hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa......... just another day , another test of my already fragile sanity!     

No comments: