Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Madness...Aurora

A few days ago, I was numbed to my bones when I came across the tragedy that struck the people in Aurora, Colorado, USA. As I continued reading the article on the maddening shooting spree carried out by James Eagen Holmes on moviegoers in Century 16 theater in Aurora, I could almost instaneously felt the pain of the victims and their families. I could never understand what could have triggered such madness in a young man's head. I would almost say that it was a planned and coordinated plan concocted by this young man with some very serious gun power and ammunition rounds. Twelve people including a 6 year old girl died as the resulting act of one human being lunacy.

I could still remember the Columbine massacre carried out by Dylan Klebold and Eric Haris which caused such a public outcry and a nation brought to its knees by the senseless killings. The media reports and the horrific graphics of the killings brought a lot of sadness to me heart. All I could muttered at that time was " Oh! God! " and filled my heart with grief for these people. Young lives at their prime were mown down by a hail of unnamed bullets. Graphics and pictures of bullet ridden bodies were up in the electronic media as a grim reminder of such senseless and horrific insanity. The horrendous trophy for Columbine High School massacre was 13 innocent lives and many many wounded and scarred hearts. That was in April, 1999.

Eight years later in 2007,  Cho Seung Hui release a thunderstorm of bullets into 32 young people in Virginia Tech University and innocent blood flowed once more in the land that is already soiled and bloodied from the previous senseless killings. Lives were again altered beyond recognition as parents and young people get a grip of losing the people they love all these years. Lives will never be the same again and one often wonders if this madness will ever stop. 

Then came this unfortunate Aurora "Dark Night" Massacre 2012. I am really sad and troubled that such horrific mind exists. James Eagen Holmes made the headlines for his barbaric acts of cowardice indeed. Yunno,  I could  certainly imagine the chaos in the theater and there is simply no place to escape for these people. My heart is troubled for the fact that even young babies were not spared and were seriously wounded. Today, I mourn for those who gave their lives to safe others during that shooting. The brave ones who paid dearly with their lives for saving others. For those who survived, let us continue to stand in the gap and pray for them as they slowly pick up the pieces in their lives. We mourn and remember the lost but we must also pray, helped and guide the living whose trauma are real.

Let us stand in the gap for these lives that needed your prayers and hope. Let us cross the boundaries and leave aside our inhibitions and just pray to the Merciful One above to grant them the chance to live and to have hope again.

No comments: