Sunday, November 25, 2012

Joel & Jega...

Just about few days ago, I played host to two great friends who was in Melaka for a course. Though, I managed to be the host for only one day, I truly felt blessed with the lives of my two friends. In fact, both of them are my college mates ( my juniors in teaching college days ) and it was good to have met up with them after such a long absence. I guess, in a hurried hurried pace we set in our world today, keeping in touch with "old" friends seemed such a distance away. So, when Joel called me up and asked for directions to Puteri Resort, I wasted no time in trying to get there as fast as possible to meet up with these people. It was raining cats an dogs but I didn't care because when Joel told me that another friend, Jega was ahead of him , I thought it would be good if I could meet up with the both of them together. So, off I went to Puteri Resort and I stood there at the lobby area in my three quarters pants and blue France jersey with an umbrella by the side waiting for them. When they actually appeared ,they drove pass the lobby area, I could recognised Jega and Joel immediately. I must say with all my heart that I was ecstatic to see them. I didn't think they could recognise me at first as we have all aged over the years. It was understandably alright in view of the years we have not met since I left the college for my first posting in Sabah. That was a good & solid  20 years ago, if I am not mistaken. Like I said earlier, we have all added some "muscles" here and there, laterally and horizontally at different parts of our bodies but a friend is still a friend no matter what.

During my college days, Joel was the most feared goal getter in the college hockey team. He was the best centre forward I've ever had the honor to play with on a team. He was sharp, alert , a man of few words but one tough skinny but tall centre forward. He was a junior in college then but he was prolific in his task in getting the goals and the job done on the filed. He plays hard and he plays with his heart. That's what I really like. I really enjoyed playing on the same team with him. Then, there is Jega. He was my super junior in college but he too played on the team  after the seniors left the team but I remembered seeing this young man with bubbly personality playing in the midfielder role. I guess, by that time, Joel was already the senior and they were taking Jega and friends under their wings. Another group of very promising and talented group of hockey players. I really really miss those guys whenever I recollect some of the finest moments in my playing days. I can tell you that we may not be superstars or some big shot players but the team was full of heart and full of fighting spirit. That's the beauty of players from these eras at the college days. They left me with good memories in my heart and being a captain of the team, I was really proud of the players.

So, when I finally got the chance to shake the hands of my two friends, Joel & Jega, the feeling was great,man. Joel and Jega's facial features did not change and I recognised them both immediately. It was really good to be able to meet them. We spoke, shared some laughs, asked about our families and re-living some old times. The sharing from their hearts over the things that had happened in their families and situations touched my heart a lot. I count myself so blessed compared to these two guys who had to go through so much in life and still standing tall and be who they are. I guess, I can only say that their sharing of experiences from their hearts showed their inner strength, their tenacious will and their composure to handle so much that had happened. I am marveled by the lives of these two individuals. Their positive outlook of life and their humbleness have blessed my heart a lot. There is just no airs about them and their humble ways made our conversation such a joy and lively. I had a quick peek at their time table and I knew that their stay here would be packed to brim with lots of program along the way. So, I managed to squeeze a time from them so that I could be their dinner host. I must say with all honesty that I was also up to brim with work at the office but I could not resist giving these two buddies of mine a good time and a good meal while in Melaka. I believe that blessing is a two way traffic. I have felt so blessed over the years from great blessings by many people who had touched my life and my family genuinely. In turn, I would like to be a blessing in whatever way I could to others when I get the opportunity. This was an opportunity I would not passed up.

So, I took them to my favourite place for a great meal and fellowship. We talked, laughed and shared some great moments together. The scrumptious meal made it more memorable especially the curried wild boar, meat rolls, garlic pork, sweet potato leaves and the black pepper deer meat. It was just pure joy seeing them enjoying the food. I guess, good company will always be blessed with good food, right? As they had another session in the night, we had to leave from our makan place and head back to the hotel in a zip. It was hard to say goodbye to these two great friends but I know that the memories we had shared in this short time will be a blessing to all of us. Let's hope that they would get their college mates to gather together for a reunion of college mates (their year) and enjoy the fellowship like the one we have had.

The last that I heard, plans for a reunion of friends are being discussed! That is GREAT NEWS!~

No comments: