Friday, November 9, 2012

Pen Marker Cap.....

Today, my whole body aches all over due to some work which was carried out at one of the work site my colleague and I went yesterday. Yesterday, it was back breaking work of sorting out metal items, carrying the metal items, sorting out the soiled debris and tagging it all up. It was hard work but a job is a job - no matter how tedious it could be. Somehow, working along side this new colleague of mine had made me to be less stressed out or agitated. I guess, when you are put in a position to help groom another person or be like a big brother, you tend to be at your best behaviour lest stressing the newbie out! Yeah! I have a heart too when it comes to things like that but I will not compromise on the work standards, attitude and learning hands-on in regards to the work we do. I guess, I still remember when I first joined my company as a newbie. It wasn't easy for me but I have this notion that I will not make it hard for my newbie if ever there was one. So, here I am with a newbie at hand and I do hope, he had learnt something from old eccentric me!

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that there was one moment when the marker pen cap slipped out and fell amongst the stacked and dense metal items. I was really upset with myself at that time. If I could not find the marker pen cap, the marker pen would dry up and it would be trouble for me as I would not be able to mark out the items for the day. Moreover, it was the only marker I had brought for that days' work. So, I went on a frantic search for the marker pen cap. I tried so many times to look for it but I just couldn't find it. I knew that it was among the metal pipes but there weren't much space to maneuver my hands. So, I squeezed my hands and tried feeling out where the cap would be. There was no sign of the cap. I sorta gave up and carried on working but the nagging feeling it was there kept bugging me at the back of my head. I told myself that I will go back and look for it after lunch so that the marker pen would not run dry. In the meantime, I covered the marker pen with masking tape so that it would not dry out as we carried out our tagging work.

For hours, both my colleague and I sweated through the work under the sweltering energy-sapping heat but we got most of the tagging done. After lunch , I told my newbie colleague that I was going to look for the cap and he looked at me quizzically, " You sure, boss? ". " Yup" was my crisp answer. This time, with my small torch light, I managed to see the location of the marker cap and I was excited. I then went down on my knees and then flat on the ground to try to retrieve the marker cap. I used every ounce of my hands, wrist and fingers muscles to try to retrieve the cap. It was a hilarious sight as my hands, my pants , my t-shirt and even my face was about 2 inches from the ground. At one time , I moved so much that the front section of my pant got entangle at protruding metal pipe and ripped a hole in my pants. Embarrassing as it was, it didn't fazed me one bit.  At that moment , nothing mattered to me except to retrieve the marker pen cap. I got down dirty, oil-stained, greasy and smelt like a human oil torch. When I managed to use a small piece of metal to dislodge the pen marker cap from the metal pipes, it was the greatest feeling EVER! I immediately prised it out amongst the pipe , picked it up and clean the cover with my t-shirt. It was the most satisfying feeling of all. I had the widest smile on my face and my newbie colleague had this look at his face that I was like the dirtiest looking cat ever! I looked at him and then I looked at myself and I can't imagine what would people say if they see me in public! Bah! It doesn't matter - I had the marker pen cap in my hands,man! 

I can't explain to you the feeling which run through my body - the sense of accomplishment, the sense of immense joy and pleasurable feeling ever. I never could understand fully the immense depth of the Parable of the Lost Coin or even the many parables which are found in the Bible. It is true when it is said that only when you experienced it that you will understand the immense joy it brings. Maybe, just maybe, God wanted me to understand the immense meaning to these parables. Yeah, the happening brought a lot of awakening in my soul and it was all because of a marker pen cap. I can't imagine what I just did, actually. It was like throwing everything away just to be able to retrieve the simplest of things in life. To me, the cap itself is not worth 2 sen but to have it your hands to keep the lid on the marker pen is simply priceless.How could something be so cheap yet valuable at the same time? Maybe, we should reflect on how such a small effort like this will bring so much learning and understanding. Just maybe, it would make us a better person....just maybe.....

No comments: