Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Twenty Three ......

Twenty three (23) years..... That's how long SLing and I have been with each other under the banner blanket called marriage. I am lousy with dates in memory  but I remembered that it was 15th November ,1989 that I penned down my name on that piece of paper to cement my relationship with SLing.   It will always be a real significant day for us , not just spiritually , but also a very true testament and profession of our commitment to one another all these years. Yeah, there are days when we wanted to "poison" one another or even tear each others head off the shoulders but those days are virtually smaller than the happier and fruitful days of joy. 

I will not pretend and paint a rosy picture of our relationship but I want to be real in saying that if we can still bite our tongues when we eat, why should our relationship be any different? I guess, it takes a lot of tongue bitting to keep the relationship strong and durable after all these years. What mattered most to both of us was keeping a balanced harmony at home and in our relationship. Sure, we have worries, uncertainties and whatever that comes to derail our faith but I must say that we HAD weathered through the storms that hit our lives. We are not perfect but we do what we can to our very best of our ability. We don't cut corners in our methods of problem solving and we stand steadfast on our decision - good or bad. 

What made us tick, you may ask, right? Well, first and foremost is our relationship foundation. There are two huge factors which took us to where we are today. First factor is that we are very rooted in our believe in GOD. I believe that helped us a lot in our times of trouble. The next factor of foundation is TRUST in each others. These two factors are inter-twinned together. Our relationship thus far is based on these two core factors before other items comes in place. I want to remind many young couples out there that you need to work on these two factors before other things comes into your lives. The greatest factor of conflict in a relationship is always finance. I have seen relationship failed miserably when this factor test the strain of the relationship. I guess, I count myself blessed and happy that SLing is not a material girl and that helped me a lot. We both worked very hard for what we have but we never have this notion to crave for more. It is okay to crave for this and that but when the craving goes viral or ridiculous , that's where the danger comes. SLing and I always avoid such situations and always have a good look into our wallet/purse before we purchase anything that is not a necessity. Indulge once in awhile but let it not be habitual or else the relationship will go on a very stressful mode. 
Maybe, just maybe, getting to know someone better before proposing did help to strengthen our relationship over the years. In fact, I really thank God that it was real love at first sight for me when I first laid eyes on SLing. Scrawny, thin and dimpled simple lady caught my attention immediately. It wasn't the same for her , though. Anyway, what I wanted to say is that I took the opportunity to get to know her and later on courted her. Boy! After that, my bachelorhood days are OVER for good, baby! OK!OK! I must admit that I wasn't macho or good looking-lar but cukup makan-lah! Hahahahaaaaaaaaaaa......Even my late dad once remarked, " What? Are you telling that there is actually a girl who ACTUALLY like you-kah? " Mom used to say, " You sure the girl is okay? Anything wrong with her?" So much for confidence from your mom and dad, right? See the difficulties I had to go through even before I embarked upon my journey of relationship?Anyway, as SLing was my junior in college, we were two years apart before she actually joined me in Sabah. Those two years apart made us stronger as we got to know each other better before eventually penning our signature on that paper called marriage certificate. In many ways, I really appreciate those days as it helped us to be more comfortable with one another, knowing likes and dislikes, what can be done and what cannot be done and so on and so forth.We built our relationship slowly and with lots of patience and tolerance. Sure, we all have our good side and bad side but it's the tolerance that helped in calming down the raging tempers and what not!

Again, thinking of our wedding anniversary, after 23 years, you don't have much to fight about anymore, right? Hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa............ Well, all jokes aside, it is still fun to stay married and be married to the same woman after all these years. Let's create new inroads of fun to spice up our marriage lives in the next years ahead, shall we? To SOON LING, HAPPY 23rd ANNIVERSARY, my dear!  

No comments: