Sunday, January 10, 2010

Zoo Fun..

Today was our 1st Royal Rangers meeting for the year 2010. In keeping up with our fine tradition of starting the new year with a resounding approval, we took the children and the adults to Zoo Melaka. There were about 28 of us and we didn't waste much time after our lunch to board the van and cars ; headed towards our joy - Zoo Melaka. There was a lot of noise in the van as we took about 15 minutes to reach our destination. I guess, you have to expect some form of noise pollution when you put about 14 tiny tots with different personalities & characters together in one sweet van. There will be endless chatter of excitement, teasing and all that. Like I said, it was lucky I have about 6 others bigger boys and girls accompanying them or else, the voices of these younger one would blow the fuse of my eardrums! I was really amused when one of the bigger boys asked me if he was like that when he was smaller. I replied , " Yup, you were also exactly like these tiny tots when you first joined the Royal Rangers Ministry!" He just shook his head and said, " Now, I can imagine and understand what you leaders have to go through!" I guess, it's payback time for these bigger boys and girls! Well, all this is done in good spirit and in jest. Sure! These young ones are going to make a lot of noise because they are excited and in the group. This will probably excite them even more especially with the group spirit and all that. Then, young leaders were then assigned to take care of the smaller one and off we go into the zoo. There was indeed plenty of changes happening in the zoo especially the front section of the zoo whereby a new tank with two baby crocodiles were situated. Overall, the set-up was nicely done while there were plenty of new animals around. I guess, I was captivated being able to see the almost extinct red panda in our Melaka Zoo. There was also rhinoceros and zebras located at the front section area and one of the rhino was having a leak at that time and it brought a lot of laughter to the children. I was really happy for the children seeing their smiling faces and their quirky laughter. It makes it all so poignantly beautiful indeed. There were Seladang, tigers, Ankole, deers, birds, cybara, ducks, wildebeest, porcupine, primates, eagles, herons, marmoset, lemurs, otters, crocodiles & alligators, iguanas and so much to see.
I guess, the best part of the trip was the elephant ride for all the young children. They gleefully agreed to do the elephant ride while it was still within our budget to give them a ride of their lives. I was told that the elephant's name was Honey and she is from Thailand. Such a huge animal with a such a gentle name. I guess, what brought a lot of cheer to my heart was were the smiling faces of the children. It brought a lot of good cheer to my heart. I guess, in a ministry such as ours, it is good to have a great time with these young lives. I wouldn't be surprised that one day, these young ones would grow up and talk about this ride even when I am no more on this earth. Such is the impact we can do for the lives of these young ones!
To me, what ever is done today had been the norm in the Royal Rangers Ministry. My leaders and I want to impact lives by reaching , teaching and keeping children for Christ! We need not do it by the books but we certainly can do it with the lives we share through activities like this where we introduced the beauty of God's creation and getting the children to appreciate God's creation. Tell me the truth- how many parents actually have the time to bring their children to zoo nowadays or share some classic times like riding on the back of a Thai elephant on a Sunday afternoon? Hmmnnnn..... guilty as charged , right? Well, this is not taking you on a guilt trip, ok? I am sure we all have our own reasons - one way or another. The leaders and I just want to bless these children's lives - no ifs , not buts , no hesitation! Just do it! Many times, as leaders, we procrastinate a lot and by then, lives are lost and catching up time is equally lost. That is why ministries are important. Each ministry in our church today serves different functionality but one to bring up a God-fearing and loving children in our society today. That's why I have been in this ministry for the past 10 years now seeing lives being touched by God and changed by God, seeing young boys & girls grow up as leaders and later start their own family imparting to their children the very same ideas and principles we have taught all these years.
Like I have always said, to me, seeing the joy on the faces of the children is itself a reward to my humble heart. To hear a boy/girl asks " Comdr. Ivan, when is the next meeting?" with his/her sweaty, smiling and rosy cheeks brings lots of good cheer to my heart and soul. That is the indication that I am serving the Lord in my fullest capacity and ability. I take heart that I have made at least one boy or one girl smile and be happy by my presence today. To me, no one can rob that reward and satisfaction from my heart today! BTW, my leaders and I are tired to our bones catching up with the children's pace but with God's help, we will do our best!~

3 comments:

Liz Teh said...

Hear! Hear! Wah...10 years! I salute you! Jason & I are so glad that u all went to the zoo! When we told Sean & Aidan that morning that they are gonna join the Rangers, they protested and finally insisted we be there. At the end of it, Sean declared that he wanna attend RR every week! Mission accomplished Cmdr! :)

Now....how to get them to eat whatever's served? Hmmmmmm.......

A Pinch Of Salt said...

Hi Liz,
Thank you for the support. Good for the children! I have been blessed by the lives! Eating part....leave it to us......

Emily yoong said...

It's so good to see these pics. One day, perhaps 15 years later, someone will post it on facebook when one of these kenik-kenik, small-small ones get married.