Sunday, June 13, 2010

SUKMA XIII

Last few days, I had the fun of watching some games at the thirteenth edition of SUKMA which was held in Melaka. It was obvious that my love had always been the hockey matches and I managed to catch up with a few friends namely Leo , Shanta, Sewak, Velappan and coaches. One meeting which made me the happiest bloke in town was the meeting of my college days coach, Mr. Siva who is now the hockey coach for Sarawak ladies team. He still looked the same and I had a good chat with him on the sports development and so on. I must tell you that his enthusiasm, commitment and philosophy for the game has not changed at all - play simple hockey and get the job done right. I still have highest regards for him as my coach for what he had done for our college team. I would say that he transformed a dysfunctional team into a credible and winning team. I still addressed him 'Sir' which made him a little bit uncomfortable at first but that's respect for a man like him, really. I guess, as a coach, it is always a pleasure and a great satisfaction when your players recognised you and acknowledged you even after all these years. To me, that's the ultimate satisfaction. For me, the honour was mine for being able to meet my coach, Mr. Siva that day. It was truly a great satisfaction in knowing that he is still doing a good job after all these years.
The other satisfaction was watching Leo & Shanta's Penang hockey team belting their hearts out against the other teams. I must say that I am so proud and happy for Leo & Shanta's efforts. They played a really tactical game and brought off the shine from the more illustrious & fancied FT team. Young team of fighters, I would call them. Superb game in which they could have won had Ladyluck smiled on them. They came out with a draw which was a superb result. I went over to congratulate Leo and Shanta plus the team for a really great effort after the match. Again, Leo had proven to be a great coach and I really respect him for that. He took over a group of no hopers to start with and whipped them into a winning team of players. That's pure courage, boldness and dedication. Cheers to you, Leo!
I guess, watching the hockey matches did bring out some excitement in me. I guess, I must admit that I am way pass the playing stage but the excitement generated in the game still gets to me. I couldn't help shouting out instructions even as a fan on the gallery. I must learn to shut up and enjoy the game more as a fan. Maybe, it is just the hockey blood running through my veins or maybe I should pick up a school team to coach for starters. Honestly, I wouldn't know what it would be but for now, I am just happy watching the game from the stands of Bukit Serindit Hockey Stadium and be a face among the crowds of hockey enthusiasts and fans.
So, people out there, go to the Sukma venues and have some fun in the sun. Too much air-cond in the office may freeze your brains afterall. Get some breeze, sun and shout encouragements to your favourite teams in their favourite games! See you at the venues. You'll know where to find me!~

No comments: