Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Home..at last!

It is indeed good to be home after being away for about 8 days now. Many things happened while I was away in Alor Star for the recent flood situations and I sorely missed being at home with the family. I guess, when you are working , you simply have to take instructions, bite a lot of bullets and do your job the very best you could. Though I have no regrets being at work, I miss home too. I missed my son's passing of his driving test [ his third time! ] as I wanted to be be there to encourage and pray for him. I wasn't there when my daughter needed me during a medical emergency and it hurts a lot while God comforted my heart during my morning prayers. I was not able to celebrate my wedding anniversary with my wife and I must say, that hurts too. It hurts a lot though I kept many things in my heart while I was at work in Alor Star. I felt helpless, frustrated and sometimes, to the point of grief and I still kept these matters close to my heart. I guess, in many ways, God comforted my heart a lot. God made my stay in Alor Star better, bearable and He certainly brought favour unto my life. I give thanks to the Lord each day for making my work in Alor Star a whole lot easier and without much hiccups. The Lord also blessed me with good help and ensuring safety in my life as I travelled each day on the roads to Jitra town. All in all, my partner at work, Goh and I covered flood loss areas in Jitra, Kangar, Bukit Pinang and Kuala Nerang. It was really trying and tiring days locating the mixture of residential homes around these area. Thank God for His favour that we are able to locate the houses and get our work done. The devastation from the flood which had occurred were massive and sometimes, heartbreaking for the both of us but we had to be very objective in our work. As we scrounged the area of devastation, I noted that the people were friendly though I get to meet some really rotten people as well. Just as in all calamities, the greed, envy and some wickedness crept into the hearts of these people. I guess, in a way, this is not a strange phenomenon when it comes to the condition of the heart in times like this.
We had worked throughout the day while after reporting & meals, it was back to our hotel accommodation at about 11.30pm and hit the sack. Each day, we were up by 7.00am and after breakfast, it was back to work. It was almost the same routine each day. I guess, I have learned that in adversities, it had made the Kedahans stronger in their ways as they begin to pick up their lives. I have learn too that there are a lot of nice people around who could be a cheer when others seemed to be at lost. Thank God for the balance.
The floods are a grim reminder of the great calamity Mother Nature could bring if we are not steadfast in clearing up our wasteful ways especially the drainage system. Urban development or whatever development that are being brought into the nation would have to have an in depth environmental study and impact to the town before they are being implemented. It is vital that these fact are being taken into consideration lest the losing of millions and millions of ringgit in compensation payment and into the re-building process. Raping the land , over-development and obscure & pretentious blindness on the impact to the environment are not going to help at all. A raging Mother Nature is a raging natural disaster to the nation.
I left Alor Star town with a mixture of feelings. I know I will pass this town again some time. I still longed for the beautiful rows of green paddy fields and the nice mountain range view. I have had enough of mud silt, drappy orangey brown coloured water and heaps of furniture rubbish by the sides of roads. BTW, I want to thank Vive & Sathy for meeting up with me in Juru and bought me a Subway meal. [ It was the meal that lasted me till I arrived home! Thanks again! ] Perhaps, one day I will be able to pass through this place again with the family and tell them of the many adventures I have had in this place. For the time being, it is suffice to say that it is really nice to be home with the family. That is all that matters to me. Thank you for your prayers, friends wherever you may be. Your prayers have indeed inspired and encouraged me~ Yup, there is no better place than home and home is where your heart is !~

No comments: