Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Coffee breaks...

The other day while having our coffee break at the nearby coffee shop, my colleague, Teo and we started talking about the number of years we have worked in our present job. We reminisced the day we both accepted our job offers and the circumstances in which we took up our job. He took up the job because he didn't like his earlier job while I was simply at my wits end also when I took up this job. But thanks to one man's faith, our former boss, Mr. Sim, who really taught us the ropes of the trade, looked out for us and patiently guided us through the rough and tough of this job. It wasn't an easy to adapt to the changes especially from the job we used to do to our present job but with much hard knocks, cruelty at times and perseverance, we are where we are today - still the lowly paid seniors! Hahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa....... [ Phew! At least, we still have jobs to our names unlike many others who had lost their jobs, right? ] Anyway, our scope of work is different, the people we meet are different while the working hours are equally different and long sometimes. I guess, what is fulfilling for us is to be able to do the best of what we can do and to be able to give our families a better life. That's all that matters, right? And so, equipped with these goals in our minds, we are exactly where we are today. Sure, there were horrific times of trials, tribulations, personal humiliation and degradation by others and office top brass & dogs [ those with very persuasive tongues and watery tongues lapping the bosses "yunno where"! ] , harsh reality of office politics, mistakes and a host of unpleasantness but yunno what, my colleague and I have survived it! I don't mean it doesn't give us a heartache or near fatal heart stopping moments but we have really survived it because we supported one another in good times and in bad times. I guess, that's why I am truly appreciative of this colleague of mine, Teo. Now, that circle of friends have widened and it sure is nice to have good friends giving words of encouragement from time to time as we worked on in our workplace.
Anyway, one topic which had in tatters and stitches of laughter was when we shared that we've been working with this company of ours for the past 14 years and had we studied our brains out at those time, we would both would have been double degree holders! [ 7 years each degree!] Yeah, think about it. Ah, wishful thinking, right? But it was really a fun time as we sipped our coffees and think of what we would have done. Probably, I would have done Psychology and with the tantrums and funny stuff I see going around in my office, I would have done Early Child Prevention Program too! [ My friend, Abby would have been proud for me! ] Hahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa............
It was just a day of taking a break and wishful thinking, actually. Ah...the coffee was certainly nice and refreshing that day. Yeah.....there will always be days in which you will win in some situation and you will lose some also, so, I say to you..........live everyday as though as it is the last day of your life on this earth! Someone asked me the other day, "Does loyalty in company pays?" Seriously, I don't know but I know for sure, more often than not, it doesn't. Anyway, God is always gracious, right?

2 comments:

Liz Teh said...

still not too late to sign up for Early Child Prevention course :)

A Pinch Of Salt said...

Liz,
Yeah! My lecturer is going to make mince meat out of me! Hahahhahahahaaaaaaa......