Sunday, January 9, 2011

Masterchef - Junior's way

What does Gary Mehigan, George Coolombaris, Matt Preston and Anna Gare have in common? Well, they are all notable chefs in Australia and they are the judges for Junior Masterchef Australia 2010 Season 1 cooking reality show for children from ages of 8 to 12! I was really bumped out when I saw how good some of these children can cook. They can really put us all, the adults, to shame with their culinary fare! Again, like any other Sunday evening, all of us gathered at the living room sofa area to have some family time at the colour box called the television and watched some nice shows like " Pitchin In ", "Lie To Me" [ I like this show a lot where facial expressions gives a lot story! ], "NCIS: Los Angeles" and stumbled upon, " Junior Masterchef Australia 2010". At first, I thought that these young kids are going to do their usual cakes, pudding, pies, chocolates cup cakes, muffins and so on but I was dead wrong, man! These kids cook fish, beef, lamb, chicken, clamps, squid, prawns and use every imaginable food pyramid fare and in all types of cooking style. WOW! Really WOW is the word to describe these children. They are so talented indeed and their culinary skills are really very good. You'll probably ask me how do you know if you have not taste the food, right? Well, when you spent enough time in the kitchen cooking or baking, you can know by the ingredients used and the look of the dish that it is either going to taste "not-so-good" or taste fabulously. Anyway, that wasn't my priority when I see the show. It was really the cooking technique and the ingredients used that I was more interested. The other thing is that they are cooking healthy food using vegetables, stocks and fresh ingredients. That's healthy living and living right,man.
I was really impressed with these young children who really took the trouble to cook beautiful dishes like stuffed squid, herb crusted snapper topping with lemon herb sauce, garlic infused prawns with special tomato sauce, seafood fettucine and the list goes on. Gosh, I am really impressed. Really impressed with the food fare which were churned out by these very young ones. The other wonderful thing was the way they handled the baking equipments, the knives, the oven, the chopper and all the rest of the equipments. So expertly handled and hygenically cleaned - I loved it! Honestly, the children are so expressive and when Matt Preston said that the children who didn't make it to the next round can kick him in the shins, one of the girls ( aged 10, I think! ) went over and actually kicked him in a jest! That's how competitive, compassionate and expressive these children were at this competition. I loved it. I really loved it!
I wonder if our 8 year olds or even 10 year olds can even cook a simple meal of fried rice, for that matter lest trying out for these illustrious culinary dishes. Who knows, Junior Masterchef Malaysia, perhaps?

No comments: