Monday, April 25, 2011

Hot..hot....

I don't know if I have mentioned it before; but my work can be interesting at times and I am always blown away by the many events/happenings I get to experience when I am at work. Yeah, work does come with occasional occupational hazards to the head and heart at times! So, Yeah, some experience can be nice while others can be quite taxing on this creaky body and fragile heart of mine. Today, I got the opportunity to get into the ground section of the metal melting furnace. When I first got this assignment, I put my palm on the file and prayed for His protection and His guidance because I know, I am gonna desperately need it! I sorta knew the task that is ahead of me and it is going to be one sweaty and sweltering hot place to be. Mentally, I was prepared for the work I have to do but physically, I wasn't that sure. Afterall, you can fake creaks and tweaks on your body,ok? Yes, I have had pains on my left knee ( Sigh! For weeks now) and I just hope I won't have to strain it further. Using the elastic strap band to help the strain, actually!
Anyway, as I arrived at my designated place, I was told to put on the safety helmet. Much to my chagrin and better sense, I could have sworn that they gave me a baseball batter's helmet. It was white, small fit and I think, I look ridiculous on it. Anyway, I was not there to complain but to just do my job and get out from there. So, into the belly area of the huge furnace pit area I went in. It was utterly and insanely hot and I was perspiring like mad. There were at least 3 other electricians working on the countless wiring cables and power cables which had been damaged and melted by the 1400 degrees Celsius metal molten which had leaked from the furnace. It was wickedly hot and the electricians were making fun of my clothing saying that I would come out looking like a chimney worker at the end of my work! I just laughed it off but I was sure that SLing is going to have a field day with me when she sees the stains I have on! Sure, it was dark, hot and stuffy but I was unfazed by all this. After all, I just have a job to do and doing it the very best I can has been my principle. As I was photographing the damages, I looked down on the metal flooring and noted a rather large hole on the metal flooring. Gosh! The unbelievable hot metal molten had melted down the metal flooring causing a hole on the ground. Luckily, I was on my safety shoes but I could still feel the heat from the so-called "cooled" metal molten. Maneuvering my way in the dark, I could sense the urgency to get out of the pit. Anyway, I had to complete my work before I could really get out of it. It was an occupational spa I was having down there! I feel like some walking barbecued meat! I could have sworn some oil fat from my body is drenching my shirt and pants,man! When I finally got out from the pit, it was a real relief. I was drenched wet right to my pants!

I just can't imagine the work these guys at the factory have to do - day in day out. What a way to earn an honest living! It is not only hot but dangerous as well. Afterall, accidents do happen and you can never know how things would end up. I guess, in a way, I am blessed that I only get to experience this probably three times in a year but these guys work in such a place day after day, year after year. I managed to catch up with some "veterans" I know at the factory. We shook hands, shared some jokes and made some light conversations. After that , I headed to the exit and made a dash for fresh air to fill my lungs. It is good to know that there was still breeze of fresh air to breathe in............ It is a hot day indeed .........

2 comments:

Bast said...

I know what you mean. I spent 6 months at an automotive paint plant playing frogger with the truck box and cabs coming out of the 800+ degF ovens. Though that was the semi-fun part of the job. What I did not enjoy was seeing the swiss-cheese consistency of the concrete below the Phosphorous tanks where the pipes constantly leaked... and my boss was wondering why I was getting sick every other week!

Like you, every day I left the plant I breathed in a big breath of cleaner air.

A Pinch Of Salt said...

Angie,
Wow! You are really a tough individual to withstand that difficult work,man! I salute you! Yup, need to get the lungs to breathe easier........