Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Hunger...

I was on my way back home yesterday evening when I chanced upon one of the most saddening act of life I've ever seen. It jolted me a bit and it made me really think hard on how fortunate we are each day while there are many others who do not have that "luxury" that we have had.

I was at the traffic lights so absorbed in the days' occurrence in my life when I suddenly noted a teenage Indian boy by the roadside. He was easily between 17-19 years of age. I sized him up easily. He was uneasy, blurry-looking and he looked downright dirty. I just don't know why but he seemed so lost by the roadside and pacing his steps. Then out of a sudden, I noted one of the most saddening action ; that is - this young teenage boy reached out to a dry drain and picked up some scraps of something from the drain and put it in his mouth. For a minute, I was just so stricken in my heart and totally dumbstruck. He then quickly whisked off to one corner of a building and sat down. I don't why but just for a minute, I swerved my car out of the traffic lights queue, drove to the nearest parking lot and parked my car. I then walked towards the teenage boy and he wanted to get away from me. I told him not to run away as I just wanted to talk to him. I came to know that his name is Seelan. Whether that name is correct or a fictitious one he made up, I wouldn't know and I wouldn't care. I noted that he smells a little bit and I caught a whiff of some adhesive gum smell. It was disheartening for me to see such a teenage abandoning their self dignity all for a sniff of the gum. I believe no one would choose this path if they have better things to do. I guess, somewhere along the way, this boy could have been misdirected or even made a wrong turn in his life. This , to me, is the pinnacle of self destruction and it is really shocking. Anyway, in spite of my questioning of my sanity, I know one thing is for sure, this boy is hungry. I told him explicitly that I would like to feed him. So, I took him by the arm, surprisingly, he did not resist, led him to a nearby mini-market. As we walked into the mini-market, everyone was looking at the both of us. Sheez! It was like Moses parting the Rea Sea scene, man! I could tell from their disdained, distasteful and spiteful faces that they don't want us around. I couldn't care less and not that I cared anyway! I asked the boy to get a loaf of Gardenia butterscotch bread and two chocolate drinks. I gladly paid it and we walked out of the mini-market without having people to stare at us like some scum or leper from the roadside. I guess, in a way, I was a little bit cheesed off by the reaction ,reception and facial contortion of these people when they saw us. Yeah, he may have messed up big time ( Surely! everyone had had those type of days, right? ) or even done some crazy things in his life but everyone deserved a chance to redeem themselves or a surprising jolt/dose of reality, right? I am not saying that we must save every Tom, Dick, Harry or Sally who are straying on the street (and btw, they are humans too! ) but if we can show kindness to just one; I think, that they would appreciate that. All the while, I didn't say much to this boy and he thanked me for getting him some food.

I guess, in situations like this, there is simply no need for words. Action speaks louder, I guess. There is no need for sermons when you see a need or a needy person. Sometimes, it is a simple logical move that eludes even the brightest of the brightest and the smartest! I just watched him eat the bread and had the drink. I could tell that he was hungry; very hungry. I asked no question; satisfied that he is okay, I turned to walk away towards my car. Before I could walk away, I heard him called out to me, "Uncle, thank you.". I turned , walked to him, towering over him, looked him right in the eyes and mustered these words, " Son, I don't know what trouble you are in but get your life right. " He muttered something but I did not wait for an answer as I have done my part. The feeding I have done - the building and putting up the pieces of his life, he just has to do it himself!

As I drove home, I just could not get forget what the boy did. I guess, massive hunger, desperation and depletion of hope drives you to do things like that, right? Isn't it just so sad? I can't imagine what we would do during end times then! I guess, reality is staring right at our faces each day. Interestingly, how would you respond? I do wonder sometimes........... I really do......

2 comments:

Bast said...

This post left me speechless. Too many times I have looked on at the unfortunate souls on the streets of Metro-Detroit and did nothing. I used to wonder what got them to this point and if something as simple as an act of kindness would make any difference. Unfortunately, being a 5'3" female has me erring on the side of caution when many of these unfortunates tower over me and has 50+ lbs on me even in their emaciated state.

It's great to hear about doing something instead of just proclaiming their compassion for the world to read. I'm sure you made a difference in the boy's life and I hope for his sake that he heeds your advice.

You have a brave and generous soul. I hope that whatever god you believe in repays your selflessness.

A Pinch Of Salt said...

Hi Angie,
Thank you for your encouragement. I am just glad to be able to inspire because I serve a big God and His name is Jesus. God bless you and have a great day ahead!~