Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Hainanese chat....

The other day while I was at my cardiologist clinic, I met up with an interesting elderly couple. I was at the clinic by 8.30am while the couple came in at 8.45am. As the clinic only opens at 9.00am, we ( the patients) had to sit at the long cushioned benches readied at the corridor. Yeah, there was a long queue that day but I was undeterred nor unfazed by the crowd. After all, I was there for my post medical condition checkup and I was ready for it. The surprise of the day which could have killed me ( not my medical condition! ) was probably the medical bill that comes afterwards (Sigh! These doctors think we print money off our printers! )

Anyway, what was interesting was that this elderly couple was talking in the Hainanese dialect and I am always intrigued by my own Hainanese speaking clan. Somehow, I am always proud to hear people speaking in the Hainanese language though my children did not speak Hainanese. ( Boo on me, actually! ) They speak so fluently and I kept smiling as the wife kept reminding her husband to check on his food intake and so on while the husband was telling his wife that he is alright. It was a poignant moment, actually. You could see that they are a loving and gentle couple. ( Yay for Hainanese couple! ). Anyway, while we registered for our doctor appointments after the clinic open its door for big business, I offered my seat in the clinic to the wife of this elderly couple and I spoke in Hainanese. They were shocked and asked me if I am Hainanese. I told them that I am a true blue in the flesh 100% authentic-blooded Hainanese covered and attached with the winds too! They laughed and so did I. It was a heart-lighted moment and a time of fun too. Uncle Lim shared with me of his experiences of heart attack and so on while he advised me to eat wisely. Aunty told me that it wasn't easy taking care of uncle while he can be head strong at times. I told her that it is the normal characteristics of a full blooded Hainanese man! Uncle Lim gave me a look and then his facial bones structure relaxed and exploded into a smile followed by a chuckle. We laughed and laughed over some matters and it was a fun morning indeed. Our conversation ranges from foods, daily lives to family. I guess, in many ways, it was a good time of connecting with fellow Hainanese. Yeah, I am proud to be a Hainanese. We spoke on quite a number of things and Uncle Lim continually reminded me to get my children to speak the Hainanese language as the number of people speaking the Hainanese dialect had dwindled over the years through marriages and interest. I couldn't agree more and I will make an effort to teach my children to speak our dialect. We chatted for while before the doctor's bulky nurse called me in for my check-up. Don't want to wrestle with the nurse or else, I'll probably lose a limb! I've almost lost one artery ; don't want to have another block, man!

As I left the clinic, I told Uncle Lim that I am going back to work. Both of them bade me farewell and hope to meet again. I smiled and said that we would meet somehow. As I left the clinic, I felt sad that only these two folks were at the clinic by themselves. Where were their children? Why none has taken the time to send them to the clinic? The Chinese saying is right - loosely, it is translated ( my version!) : "One mother & father can take care of 10 children but 10 children cannot take care of one mother & one father!" Sad,huh? That's reality of life,right? Let's make a change and start treating our parents right. A visit, a hug or even a call would be great! Have a great day ahead!~

1 comment:

Liz Teh said...

Yeah, I'm a Hainanese too. Cannot speak the dialect at all cos wasn't taught :P And yes, the Hainanese very "angin" wan. Hahahaha!