Monday, July 25, 2011

Sleepless...sleep less

The other day I was having quite a day. So, the first thing I wanted to do was to get on the comfy of the bed and have a great slumber. Somehow, I twisted and turned so much that my sommersaulting exercise on bed irritated my poor wife a lot coz' she too felt the tremors of my constant shifting on the bed. It is not that I am small in size but the shifting part can be quite a thing. I guess, I was really very uncomfortable and this was robbing me of my sleep. Trust me, I counted sheeps from white to black for all I know and I even tried imagining counting stars ( from honey stars to dunno what stars are available! ) but to no avail. Eyes were wide open like crystallised marbles in the middle of the sunny day. I keep staring at the asbestos ceiling and I remembered doing  mental paintings of  Picasso and Michelangelo pieces too. Somehow, the eyes and mind just won't shut down!
Then I prayed and they say, if you can' sleep you better pray. So, I prayed, put my hands to my chest and crossed them. Then I felt really morbid as I felt as though I am lying down on my casket with the way I lay straight, arms cross - sheez! I burst out giggling at the thought and my poor wife gave me a nudge and grudgingly said , " What's the matter with you? Do you what time it is? It's 11.30pm! Why aren't you asleep?". I turned to her, opened my mouth  and wanted to explain what I had felt but I guess, I couldn't. If I did , I probably would have send her into a hysterical streak - probably some wailing can be heard but some hairs strands would definitely be found on the bed edge the following morning.
She just turned over and started rambling, " What's the matter with you? Are you okay? ". I stared at her almost in oblivion and then I decided something on the spot. I told her, " I really can't sleep and I have not being feeling well since this evening." She was rather awake now and with softer tone, " So , what is wrong? Have you taken your medicine? Hey, don't scare me ,ok?"." We need you , yunno! " " Yeah! I know. Who is going to pay the bills, right?", I answered. Well, it was my way to humour her, actually! She just rolled her eyes back and sauntered to her bedside.  Well, I told her that I am fine and I have had my medicine. I added " But I have this heart palpitations since evening." " So, is it a good thing or not so good thing?" followed by a string of questions. By now, she was eyeing me suspiciously if I am playing a trick on her. She said, " You better don't play tricks on me or else you are going to get it from me." Hmmmmnnnnnn..... sound familiar but I assured her that I can't sleep ( I did NOT lie! ) and it goes on off with times. " Ohhh.....so what are the symptoms and so on?" " I dunno, sometimes it comes and sometimes it doesn't happen." I said. She asked , " So, when did this palpitations started - for how long , how many times a day....." and the list goes on and on. 
I looked at her intently, searching my inner self, gathering my thoughts and answered, " Every time I see you." She looked at me and said , " You #44%4%8910! Go to sleep! ". I laughed my head off and hugged her. She muttered something and then gave me a kick and missed a very vital part of the human anatomy ( Phew! That was close! ) and asked me to sleep down where the spare mattress was located! Gladly, I scrambled to the spare mattress and the next thing I knew,  2 pillows flew my way and then I heard her said, " The next time you do this - you sleep in the bathroom!" Ah! It was fun, though and at least, I still have my sense of humour, right? Did I get to sleep that night.....well, I did....at about 2.30am with a smile on my face. It is good to turn an unpleasant situation to one that is quite fun,don't you think so? It helps to strengthen the relationship, right?
Yunno, I have told myself countless number of times that if one day I were to konk off without much hu-ha, I would rather wear a silly smile on my "not-so-nice looking" face than looking like a grouchy ol'man!~
  

No comments: