Friday, July 29, 2011

Hope..Malaysia team!

The other day, I was on the edge of my seat watching the epic World Cup 2014 qualifying match between Malaysia and Singapore. So, the Singaporeans had their "naturalised" players on the field and so on but it did not outshine the good match between the teams.  No matter how you look at the game, it ended 1-1 on the 2nd leg and eventually ( plus effectively ) ended our hopes of going further in the World Cup 2014 rounds. But one thing was for sure, it was a fantastic match and to see a sell-out game at our Bukit Jalil Stadium was another plus point. Who says we are not passionate about our national football team-lar? When it matters most, the people will jam the stadium. I think, the most important thing is the fact that the football team is presently playing well despite the results. Honestly, I have never been excited like I am right now when speaking of the football team.( It has been quite a while! ) I must say that the team under Mr. Rajagopal has improved tremendously but like any other teams, we are constantly plagued with silly technical mistakes and school boy errors. Nevertheless, taking no credit away from the boys, they have fought hard and tried their very best. I feel that gives us all, the footballing fans, a sense of hope and a sense of dare to dream again!
Personally, I feel this team can go far and hopefully, they don't get "big-headed" but stay very focused in their mission to bring honour to the country someday. Their spirit, their work rate and their commitment was pretty solid. At that minute when the first goal was scored , I leapt off my cushion , raising two hands above my head; clenching fist and shouted, " Goaaaaalllll! Yeeeeaaaahhh! " That feels good! It has been far too long when I felt that rush of adrenaline excitement over our national team. Then , the equalising goal came but it didn't dampened my spirit. It was a thrill knowing what the national team can do that matters. Seriously, I wish the players could have worked and chased every ball till they drop of exhaustion that day but their efforts were superb. I applaud them for that. I also wish that they could have moved the ball and play short passes rather than the long balls which was easily blanked out by the Singaporean defence.  Like I said, we can talk till the clouds come down on "what could happen if...." from the game but what is important is to look forward for the next game. Yes, they had shown good promise, good talent and good commitment. I tell you, the goalkeeper, Khairul Fahmi a.k.a. Apek was spectacular and easily the toast of the team together with  Safee & the rest of the team members. Yes, we have the talents and I think, we need to instill the winning mentality in our boys.
I remembered last year when I bought the Malaysian blue jersey from a street vendor in Haadyai for my son, I bargained with him on the price and got the Malaysian team jersey cheap. According to the vendor, it's a losing team and why would anyone wants to buy that colours. But, I remained patriotic to my country and believed they can come out tops the next time. They did and they did their country proud by doing their best. I am just glad that the Malaysian football team is finally waking up, cleaning and licking up their wounds, bruised and battered reputation. Like I have always said, when the head is right, the body parts are going to work just fine. GO MALAYSIA! 

No comments: