Monday, May 28, 2012

Life.....

Sitting down and having a cup of drink at my mum's place a few mornings ago brought a lot of comfort to my heart today. I guess, there are no words to describe the thankfulness I have for having her but most of all, the casual conversation with her helped to soothe a lot of my sorrows away. Right before me was a plate of Nyonya cake fare ( kuih lapis, kuih bingka, kuih sago, kuih talam ) and a few Massimo bread buns with coffee and blueberry fillings.Yunno, these are some of my favourite kuihs and bun fillings which were prepared for me and SYuen as we approached the dining table. It was easy speaking to mum and there are no barriers to what we want to speak about. I can even express my views in a vocal manner or even in a harsh manner but always with respect. I guess, I am at home when I am with mum though we don't see each other much but I do keep in touch with her daily on the line.

Like all mums, she can be quite firm on her ideas and ideals too but like I said, it is always expressed with respect. She doesn't minced her words too when expressing concerns for my well-being or even the well-being of my children. That's the heart of a mother and a grandmother! We have this understanding that we have the right to agree to disagree. So, that part of the concern was settled long ago and it is never a problem for us whenever we disagree on things. If I get mad, I just expressed it to her and she does likewise to me. Like I said, the difference is that we respect each other very much. Many a times, I do end up on the wrong side of her tails and I do get a backlash but it is all done with love. Yeah! Mothers are great people. Today, she tells me exuberantly what she is going to cook for SYuen and for us to take home for our dinner. I told her that I prefer the simple stuff and she excitedly exclaimed, " Chicken rice, huh? Sorry, son. It can't be done today. My granddaughter comes first. Maybe the next time?". She smiled as my daughter flashed me her smile too and I slumped back at my seat giving a disgusted squinted eye special! So much for grandma and granddaughter bonding. 

I like days like these. The free flowing day of easy conversation and less threatening environment. Nowadays, life is like a pressure cooker litmus test. I guess, we could all have good days like that with our mom or dad. It certainly will drive away a lot of blues of life. Mine certainly did....... 

No comments: