Sunday, May 6, 2012

Broga Hill - Carpe diem......

Last Saturday, my world was turn upside down .....but with great experience and a cherished time spent with the younger leaders and children of RR Melaka # 1 - Discovery & Adventure boys and girls! I can tell you this that it was one roller coaster ride for me, in particular, while it was a breeze in the park for some of the seasoned, fit and younger people plus the children. ( I tell you, parents, you will be amazed what your children can do in such a climb! ) You see, we went for hiking activity up Broga Hill and Gunung Tok Wan in Semenyih, N.Sembilan. I must confessed that though I really wasn't keen in climbing the hill but the challenge and the urge to push myself to another level of knowledge was simply irresistible. They say confession is good for the soul and I agree 100% . The fact is that I wasn't fit enough and an ageing body seemed to take its toll. This was the day, my stomach, heart, lungs, spleen and the rest of the internal organs swapped places with each other during the hike up the 1st peak of Broga Hill. I tell you, it was one "torturing" journey. Each step was like taking one chunk of my heart away and I could feel my blood vessels choked of oxygen. I grasped for air and I tell you, luckily there were great encouragers ( Errol, Stefanie and SLing ) around to help me in my climb up there. 

To many, Broga Hill is child's play but to me, it is really a great adventure for me and my heart. I am glad I finally made it to the hilltop of  Broga Hill but I did not continue to Gunung Tok Wan because that's probably gonna cost you people to spend some money on flowers and a small column on the Obituary section of the newspaper, I guess! Yup, I wasn't going to make it difficult for you people at these troubling times of high expense living  and difficult economical times! Hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.........  The 10 of the young people made it ! Congrats to Bryan Lee, Dinesh, Stephen Raj, Lih Gin, Dave, Donovan, Daniel Chia, Ashley Chia, Jocelyn Gan  and Mathew Chiam. They braved the rugged terrain and made it to the top of Gunung Tok Wan. The rest of us, Errol, Josephine, Merrick Chiam, SYuen, SLing and myself , we made it to Broga Hill ( 400m above sea level ) thanks to the constant encouragement from Stefanie Sim ( my hero of the day! ) Yeah! Credit must be given where it is due and I must say that I am greatly indebted to Stef for all the encouragement and support she gave me during the climb. Yunno, she stayed by me and Errol eventhough we were easily struggling to get our feet to the next step. Each step was a grand torture & punishing for me but Stef made it easy for me with her constant barking of encouraging words like " It's another 5 minutes " ( Sigh! It never seemed to end, actually...hahahahahaaaaaaaa!)  or  " Comdr, a bit more and we would have reached the peak!" ( all the while, I said to myself, " What peak???? I only see more steps up! hahahahahaaaaaaaa.....remembering it makes it much sweeter, I guess! )

Anyway, I am really happy to have SLing, Errol and Stef walking along side because each time we struggled a bit or out of breath, it is always playfully , " Kong, Kong, have you arrived?" or " Uncle, Uncle, where are you? Have you arrived? " , " Aunty, aunty, can walk ar? " That kinda take the tiredness out of the lungs and replaced with laughter and a will to get to the top of each hill. We made it from Peak No.1 to Peak No.4 where Broga Hill top was situated!  So, to Stefanie, thank you so much for staying with us and helping us through our walk to Broga Hill. I tell you, I sweat buckets  and I could have sworn that I was much lighter after the hike up there. It was quite an experience and I still think it is madness to make a climb up the hill in the wee hours of the morning but somehow, I now understood the need to get up there early so that we can avoid the mid-day sun which could be blistering. However, I must say that the view up there is really breathtaking. Honestly, it was so calm and peaceful. The scenery and the lush greenery filled the horizon and as far as your eyes can see. It is really a pretty sight to behold and I really felt at ease at each of the peak. Sure, there were plenty of bodies around at the peaks but that's the beauty of hiking. Everyone is pleasant and encouraging at the same time - white, yellow, brown, black. No one cares the colors of our skins - it is always a smile, a hello or even an encouraging word to each other. That's what makes this climb so meaningful and pleasantly surprising. I know, this hill is nothing to shout about to many of us. Look not into just conquering the hill itself as a conquest of our personal glory but also enjoy the surroundings - the sight, the smell, the breeze , the people and the just creation of the One Above. 

I tell you, I felt like heaven when I reached the 1st peak! The breeze and cool air simply was invigorating and fill my lungs so easily. That refreshed me inside and I am so amazed with the rock formation and the greenery surrounding the next peak. We moved on and on until we arrived at Broga Hill. We made it but not without some bruised and battered small scars - physically  & mentally. They say the greatest mark of a leader is humility and I know, that certainly rings very true. Everyone of us declared our humility as we drove our battered and forlorn bodies up each peak and we did it because each step we make is made with respect and humility to the Creator of our lives and the Creator of the terrain we had passed through. That day as we climbed down from the 1st peak, I could only muttered to myself, " Gee whiz! How did I climb up this peak?" as I shook my head and took a good look at steepness of the terrain.

I guess, in many ways, I am honored to have climbed Broga Hill amidst the sea of people who had made it up there over the years. I find to be a great place to freak out and have an " AHA" moment! It was wonderfully beautiful up there. In so many ways, I could just lie flat on some of the bedrock & enjoy the moment. Incidentally, as crazy as it may sound, I would like to climb the hill again some day but not too soon or else, like I said, you've gotta spend some money to write up my obituary, man! Yes, I missed the adventure a lot but the soon tiring and aching body doesn't lie either. All those creaks , tweaks and crack sounds plus the difficulties in standing up after sitting down are tell tale sign of ageing or not fit symptons - wherever you chose to be. To me , I am never done with climbing or hiking because it is still my dream to go to Nepal and be at the foot of Mt. Everest before I say adieu to the fulfilling life I have had. It doesn't matter if I have to take longer time to get there but I'll get there....... eventually.

This is my dream when I was a kid and it is still a valid dream for me. Today, I am satisfied that I have conquered Gunung Tahan, Gunung Kinabalu, countless number of hills including Bukit Cina, Bukit Beruang , Bukit Baru, Bukit Rambai, Bukit Sendanan and now Broga Hill in my lifetime. Hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa................ I was just joking! Gunung Tahan and Gunung Kinabalu were such beautiful memories and experience but nothing like Broga Hill. Each experience is truly different and in so many ways, so joyful. Yeah! You'll swear XYZ and called out the names of your father and mother countless number of times more than you'll ever do when your parents are around as you climb the hills but at the end of day as you reflect over what you had gone through ; nothing beats the achievement feeling. It's like standing at the mountain top shouting at the top of your lungs " I've made it!" , isn't it? Well, that's an experience nothing in the world could compare to it!~     

No comments: