Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Warong chronicles....

The other morning, I stopped by my favourite roti canai stall to have my regular "craving" roti canai delight plus a nice cuppa of tea. The stall was unusually crowded that morning and there were certainly some very interesting people sitting around the tables. I guess, I was rather intrigued by a very young couple who sat on the right hand side of my table. The guy with his very pregnant girl were easily in their late teens. I just couldn't help but wonder where has our culture and lifestyle gone so very wrong. Believe me ,  I am not judging the young couple by any means but I have nothing but sheer concern for them. I could see that the guy was barely 20 while the girl was easily between 18 to 19 years of age. They ordered a roti canai kosong and two cups of tea. The guy was eating away while the girl was pouting away as she sipped her tea. Then she ordered for roti canai telur and she was told that it was going to be a long wait as there are a lot of customers and I haven't got my roti canai yet. Quietly, I told the kakak that the pregnant girl should have her meal or else the kid in her may not like it that much. That made the kakak laughed and Pak Din ( roti canai maker ) smiled; agreeing to my suggestion. As the roti was being pulled, tossed and shaped, I managed to strike a small conversation with the couple. It was light conversation and nothing threatening. I got to know that the girl is 19 years old ( 7 months heavy laden with a child ) while the guy is 20 years old. ( Hmmmnnnn.....so my guess was right afterall ! ). Like I said, I did not ask any further "threatening" question lest risking a broken down conversation. I also got to know that the guy is doing odd jobs while the girl is working as a seamstress. I just got quiet after that and got my mind flooding with all the things I have gone through as a parent to my two children. Wow! There was just such a rush of things that went through my head and I  most certainly see these two young people going through the "hard times" ahead.        

As the food arrived, I could see that the poor girl ate half of the roti telur while the guy hungrily finished up the other half. That's tough,man. Really tough for me to see such a scenario, I tell you. I guess, we all have to face the consequences of our irrational or foolish actions sometimes, right? Deep in my heart, I know that this young couple is indeed "struggling" and "lost" in a certain sense. I have nothing but sheer concern for them, I really do. It is already tough enough as it is right now but to have to go through that in a very young age is simply doing a herculean task. I wish I could tell them to get back to their family members and let their families help them or get proper counselling for the sakes of their unborn child. I am not condoning nor advocating unwed mothers nor pregnant unwed mothers, I am just saying that sometimes the only love that is real are the ones from your home and a lot of harsh facts. The young people are not ready for this flamboyant, pretentious, promiscuous and loose lifestyle that we are being bombarded each day. There is a real need for the young people of our days to know the hard facts of life that awaits them together with the raptors & wolves waiting to lure them into their hunt.  They need to be aware and have that common sense to know the right from the wrong. Definitely , we cannot undo what had been done but we most certainly can shape our lives for the better if we listen intently and work diligently. As parents, I just wish that sometimes we just take some time to really know who are with our children, what they are doing , where they are and whom they are mixing with. It is NOT GOOD AT ALL to let the world be the teacher/parents to our children. We need to know where our children are. We need to know where our brothers are. We need to know where our sisters are. It may sound intrusive at times but it saves lives. It is a family thing and no more an individual thing.  That is far more important than some work in the office or some social gathering or even a business party. Forget the idea that " I'm working hard for their future" or even " I'm saving and doing all I can all for their well-being in the future" when all the children ever want from you is NOW and your precious time with them. Yeah! I am not being a hypocrite to say that this also includes me too, yunno. I learn plenty along the way of my life and I do horrendous mistakes day after day in my life as a parent but believe me, I learn and I try to be as good a parent to my children.  Yeah! I too could be caught up with this suave thinking and I have, believe me. So , I know, how much lost time I have to make up with my own children. In everything, I tell you this - GOD has played a very central & pivotal role in my life and my family. I thank GOD each day that He leads me through my life with my children. Like I always say to you, what is enough and how much is enough? The answer is simply there is always NOT enough! So, might as well be contented with what you have and do the best you can. Do not pamper your children with over-indulgence but teach them good values in life that they will remember for life. Respect, humbleness, integrity and accountability are some values I learned from my late father. I am ever so thankful to Dad for that. Never mind if the world sees us as fools for such values but what is important is always the eyes of GOD and our family. That matters a lot.
         
As I watched the young couple board the m/cycle , I could see the poor girl was struggling to sit the small m/cycle especially with a rather large belly at the front. My heart goes out to the young couple.Yeah, we all make foolish decisions at times, right? Well,  I still remember what my mom used to say to me and warned me many times which I will not forget at all. She used to tell me this - " WHEN and IF ( she stressed this a lot! ) you find a girl who likes you  someday, make sure you don't do any stupid things and messed up, you hear? 5 minutes pleasure is 9 months torture,ok? ". I NEVER forget this and I thank mom for her confidence in me! Wouldn't you do the same if you get such advice?~ 

No comments: