Friday, October 12, 2012

Beruang Hill...

Since being introduced to Bukit Beruang Hill for my evening walks by Dinesh & family, it has become my favourite exercise place. One confession to make though : I've put off exercise for such a long time and I guess, the kilos shows up in some places of the body! So, I am making an effort to start to educate my head and my body! Sure , it is not an easy walk up but I really enjoy the challenge that comes with the walk. For one thing, the walk up consisted of asphalt road to the top and there is a nice sidetracked plateau where one could view Bukit Beruang  and Melaka town from the top.

Make no mistake, the walk up can be punishing for unfit people like me while one stretch of the road up which was quite steep can be quite treacherous too. One slip and you will roll off the road like one big gummy ball! Sure would be embarrassing , I would say. However, seeing elderly folks who are twice my age climbing up the hill had given me the motivation to do likewise. Generally, I met a lot of interesting people on the way up the hill. They are nice folks, actually. There is a nice splash of people who would generally encourage you to steadily go up the hill when you huffed and puffed your way along your journey up. A smile and a thumbs up sign is never far away. I guess, I now understand why this is quite a place for people who wants to have a good workout. People going up and down the hill are generally generous with their fine gestures. This really encourages me a lot. 

By now you would understand and catch the drift  that I am a slow walker but I am genuinely interested to get a good workout. The other day, I walked 10 rounds in brisk walk around the track laid out at the playground of my housing estate and I could have sworn that I hardly break a sweat on the flat ground. SLing could attest to this test of mine. But somehow, climbing this hill made me sweat like a pig in my 30 minutes walk up. Yeah, I huffed , puffed, inched my way up the hill the best I could. It is a satisfying feeling when you get to the end of the line.It is always one more turn or one more steep slope to climb before hitting the top. It is so wonderful when you challenge yourself to conquer the tiredness and the exhaustion. However, many times, the heart will beat so fast as though it is going to burst its cables and what not but somehow, when you get to the last turn before reaching the top, you will get a second wind which will power you to the end. It is a real sense achievement for me, honestly. Sure, your heart, spleen, blood cables, muscle cables and internal organs would do some swapping of places and sometimes spurted with exhaustion and pain but you will survive! I survived indeed and it really feels good to have such a workout. Yunno, it is such a sense of achievement. You just sweat buckets and give your heart a good exercise. At least, you know it is still pumping and not get jammed halfway!
I know that it is only a small hill to many people but to people like me who find exercise such a chore at times, this is really a good workout for me and my family. I must say that when I am walking up , I am at ease and I just sweat it all out at the hill. I may struggle in my walk with small steps but they are always sure steps up. Only recently, I have tried some small running steps down the hill and at the end of the day, my legs just felt so rubbery but very satisfying feeling in my heart. In the short time after work, nowadays, I am able to get one and a half rounds of walking distance in my exercise. That is quite an achievement already for me. In fact, I was determined to make an effort to exercise and get a good thing going. Thank God for the support! Do I feel fine? Do I think I look slimmer? You bet, I feel better, meaner and slimmer!