Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Walk...

Last evening after work, I managed to get to my exercise grounds at Bukit Beruang Hill and did my walks as usual. Somehow, like all starters, it turned out to be an extremely excruciating climb up as I was really tired after a long day at work. I must admit that I was sluggish and felt burning sensation to my muscles at my legs. The knees are okay but the thighs and calves burned like mad. Anyway, I kept telling myself that I can do it and I just want to stay healthy. I sweat buckets, I tell you but I am glad I did my usual rounds especially at the stretch I call the "Knee Buster Slope". It was good and I enjoyed the nice breeze especially at the slope before the home stretch to the transmission tower area. 

So, I was on my way down when I met a rather large sized young girl struggling to come up the slope. It was obvious that she struggled step by step as she tried to walk up. I guess, she was with some of her friends who had moved up faster than her. They were long gone as I did met up with a group of young people up at the middle section as I walked down. Boy, she really struggled, I mean, REALLY STRUGGLED. With her twisted facial expression, deep breathing and sweating profusely, I looked at her and it reminded a lot about me. So, as she was just at the very second uphill walk, I supposed I wanted to encourage her. So, I stopped on my tracks, turned around and started walking along side her. I said "Hi" , smiled at her and I said something like , " You are doing fine. Step by step will do." Then , she stopped for a while to catch her breath and I also did. She said to me , " Uncle, why don't you go ahead? I will only be blocking your way."  I introduced myself and we struck small talks. Then I started telling her how I struggled like mad too when I first started this and I still do as I take each step up! I told her to walk at her own pace - step by step and that each step is a step of health and personal victory. She seemed to be pumped up and started walking step by step as I walked along side her. By then, I was also panting and struggled as I walked up. I told her in my not-so-smooth breaths ( I felt as though the pump at my heart and oxygen lines had been cut off from me! )  that I struggled a lot too. She smiled and seemed to understand what I was talking about. We then walked together at the "Knee Buster Slope" and we were at the foot when I told her that she has done well so far. This will be her next challenge. She virtually has this "hopelessness" expression look and downcasted. I cheered her up and said that she needed to overcome this and the rest is a piece of cake! She smiled, pointed to the slope, saying " This is a piece of cake?". I answered, " Yeah! A piece of cake" and pointed a finger to side of my head as if telling her that it is all in the head. She looked at me for a while and started the walk. It was a real struggle and painful to see how she struggled. Then, she turned back and said, " You not coming, uncle? " I calmly said to her, " I've conquered this monster just now - twice! It's your turn, girl! Good luck!" By this time, I saw her group of friends were struggling towards the top of slope. Hopefully, they would encourage her then. 

Steadily, I saw the young girl walked up, step by step and now, there were words of encouragement from her friends. I could have sworn that at one corner of my brain seemed to scream out, " Should have done that earlier to her, dudes!" I smiled to myself, turned around and walked down. Just glad that I did my part in encouraging this young lady. Hopefully she will stay healthy and continue walking. Afterall, we all need a good word to the soul once in a while, don't we?

No comments: