Sunday, May 26, 2013

Grown up.....

A couple of nights ago, as SLing attended a get-together with her colleagues, the children, SYuen and JWee went out dinner with me. I had not really spent time with them as much as I would like to but somehow, being out with them kinda feels good. In the buzz and frantic clamour for time, tight work schedule, cats fights and verbal brawls in work place plus the rape of mind at work at times, being able to get some time to spend with the children feels great. Yup, it really feels great being able to spend time with them. I guess, in many ways, SLing and I have tried as much as possible to be a part of their lives as they grow up. Seriously, how much both SYuen and JWee had grown over the years. My prayer and hope are for them are always for them to remain humble and know where they stand each day.  

As we sat down at our table at the restaurant at Sea Terrace, all three of us were engaged in a conversation that ranged from driving to studies, careers, mannerism, humbleness, music and a diverse range of topics. They were enthusiastic and expressive while I sat down nodded my head and spoke my mind on certain matters. I could never tell you how much it meant to me to be able to have dinner with my children plus hearing their thoughts and focal point of view in certain matters. Maybe, just maybe, age had crept up behind me and stumped me at times. Their view points seemed valid at times and as they expressed their thoughts, for a minute, I realised that these are truly my children indeed. Oh! How much they have grown up!

Backtracked to yesterday's event. It was that time of the year to allow SYuen to get a feel of college life. She is putting her feet into her own career path and studies. I am so proud of her. She seemed so strong, confident and her usual self. As SLing and I brought her for Registration Day, you could see fellow proud parents tagging along with their children.I could only speak for my self and say that it was a proud day for me because I know that SYuen will embark on a new chapter in her life. One that is more challenging than any other walk in her life. At the back of mind, I consoled my humbled and old heart that I've done the very best I could to prepare her for this chapter in her life. Now, she has got to work harder for her education which will be her career path and also, a path of much challenges ahead. I could have sworn that I could see a tear or two welled up in SLing's eyes but I guess, she is fighting it back as she knows that our girl had all grown up. We are both confident that she would do her best and no matter what, we are proud of her as always.

Ironically, as I sat at the nearby cafeteria as we waited for SYuen to complete her registration, parents of all colors , shapes and sizes adorned the registration arena. Some were flashy and fleshy while some were just plain country folks from all over the country. I guess, when it comes to pursuit for the child's education, they want the best for their children, right? Yes, folks, there were plenty of concerned parents indeed. My heart goes out to those parents from outstation, as far as Penang, Kelantan, Johor and Perak states, lugging luggage after luggage, boxes of goodies and what not for their children. Mind you, at least I could go home, refreshed myself and went back to pick up SYuen later but some of these folks stayed behind as many hours as they could before going back to their respective home towns. Marveled at these parents! One thing is for sure, these freshies ( for newcomers to any college/university they are named as this! ) are really young people indeed. As SLing and I stood there watching the freshies at the field, both of us ( SLing & I ), we were transported back almost 2 decades ago when we, ourselves, registered for our teaching course in college. It was a flashback of good memories but chaotic atmosphere. Introducing one self, forging new friendship and excited about of new journey in life! It was a wonderful flashback and both of us had a good laugh thinking back of our innocence of life at that time.

After picking up SYuen after the evening session, we headed out towards a friend's place (On Tin & BLing ) and spend some time with the family who will be sending their daughter, Xin Yi to matriculation centre in Tangkak the following day. It was another time of great fellowship, laughter and fun. SLing prayed for Xin Yi this time and we encouraged her in every way we could. We also prayed for journey mercy for On Tin & BLing as they start out early the following morning. As we got back home that night, I could not help but felt that it was indeed a full Sunday indeed for SLing and I.

I just want to thank the Lord that He has enabled us thus far and has blessed our lives with our children, JWee and SYuen plus lives of other children. We just felt blessed as many other people like Vive & Sathy, Errol & Jessica, BA & Jessy, Kuna & Cheng, CK & Priscilla, Din & Abby, Steven & WSin, Jason & Shrley plus a host of wonderful people, who had poured their love, care, concern and blessings upon our children's lives. Thank you so much, from my heart!
         

No comments: