Monday, May 13, 2013

Heartbreak....

As I stepped out of my office this evening at about 6.20pm, I headed towards the car park where I parked my car. As I rounded the bend of the road to go to the car park, I saw 8 young boys on 4 m/cycles parking their m/cycle at the back lane. Deep in my head, I did not want to think what they were doing there but the conviction in my heart made me stop in my tracks. Facing 8 young Malay boys ain't what you want to do on a Monday evening. It wasn't because they were Malay boys that made me stop at my tracks. It was their intention and their destination that I wanted to stop them. I felt it was my moral duty to stop these young boys from patronising prostitutes near my office area. For that moment, I felt so sad inside for these boys.

As they got off their m/cycles, I pulled my courage and asked the boys where do they want to go. They seemed hesitant at first and one of the boys came to me menacingly and told me it is none of my business where they want to go. I told them point blank that visiting a "social worker" den ain't fit it for them. They laughed at me and one of them said that it IS their destination today and called me an old man. I guess, when you have 8 young boys, they tend to be stronger and speak ruder when in numbers. I took up both my hands and told them that it is a free country and they could go anywhere they wanted. I then went up to the one that called me an old man and stared right at his face and stood almost 3 inches away from his face and told him that if he ever call me an old man again, he won't be able to stand up after I am finished with him. The rest of them just gripped their helmets and I swung my bag to the front., just in case. I told the boy that he should not be disrespectful to older people as I am only giving advice and not out there to make any trouble. He said, " Cool,uncle" in English and I smiled in my usual dead man face. I told them that I just wanted to go to the car park and get my car.  Just for a few seconds, it was that tense but he and his friends backed away giving me space to walk through towards the car park. Before I made my way to the car park, I told the boys that it is not right for them to go to the places they ain't supposed to go. I then turned away and headed towards my car. Honestly, I don't know whether they went into the prostitute den or not but it broke my heart that youths/young people are taking that path. Where has society gone so wrong? Where has religious teaching gone wrong? Where has strong family values gone so wrong? Who do we blame then? The Chinese? The executive Malays? The Indians? Or perhaps the Orang Asli, this time? It really saddens me because they are YOUTHS! Not because they are Malay, Chinese, Indian , Iban, Kadazan etc.etc.!!!!!

These are questions that plagued my mind just now as I went into my car and drove home. It is just so unfortunate that the place I work is just beside the "oldest profession in the world" den. Raided a few times but business is as usual after a few hours/days! It is always the connection and somehow, business is as usual. Sometimes, from across our kitchen area window, I could see these women and in a certain way, I wish they could stop what they were doing and get a decent job with clothes on! Yunno, it is just so sad to see youth indulging in such curiosity. This is one curiosity that one can make do without. It would definitely break the hearts of their parents if they had come to know what these young people were doing/indulging in. Well, I take heart that at least, I tried to divert them from this but I wouldn't know if I had been successful or not. I guess, the staircase leading to the upper floors will always be open tomorrow too but lives have been destroyed today by the introduction of lust  and sin ........ What a heartbreak, indeed. .......  

No comments: