Friday, August 7, 2009

A Directorial Tribute...

I spent late one night browsing through the works of our dearly departed movie director, Yasmin Ahmad. I must say that Malaysia had lost one of her finest movie directors. Don't get me wrong - I never knew her personally but still, I can really relate to her creativity, passion and the uniqueness. As a commercial director, she invoked a sense of unity and a certain closeness that we could all relate to in one way or another. The other stroke of genius is her sense of humour, common humanity message brought to life with a twist and twirl of directorial genius.
Advertisements like "Sepet Burger" , " Fly Air Asia" and " Tan Hong Ming in Love" brings a lot of laughter and cheer to the heart while " Deepavali 2008" and "CNY 2009" cautions the human heart on the need to remember our loving old folks/family members/parents. I guess, there must be something Yasmin saw that we missed completely in our lives! Such creativity can only come from a compassionate heart and great intrinsic value.
I am also drawn to the fact that each time she ends her blog writing, she doesn't just stop there but give praises to the God she served. To me, that is really honourable. No matter what her faults may be or no matter how much she was picked on, she never ceased to praise her God in her writings. How many of us can actually do that daily in our lives?
I especially liked her masterpiece entitled " Funeral" with the main actress, Jo Kukathas. This piece is really so meaningful and I just wish that every husband and wife should catch this piece. It is not only heartwarming and meaningful ; it gives you a realisation what it meant to stay faithful and loving to you spouses. I really loved this piece absolutely. I also liked the piece on "Family" which was screened in Singapore TV to help people understand the sacrifices of parents. Really touching and apt advertisement piece.
I leave you with this piece of article which I found while browsing through Yasmin Ahmad's blog. I am very sure that you will be blessed!
One evening, an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people. He said, "My son, the battle is between two 'wolves' inside us all. One is Evil - It is anger, envy, jealousy, greed, and arrogance. The other is Good - It is peace, love, hope, humility, compassion, and faith." The grandson thought about this for a while and then asked his grandfather, "Which wolf wins?" To which the old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

No comments: