Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Earthquake Tremors.....

It was exactly at 6.20pm while I was minding my own business and working at my table when I felt it. It wasn't strong at first and I thought it was kinda funny to have movement at the bottom of my feet and my table. I then checked myself if I have had too much sugar or even had any hallucinating pills lately! Unfortunately, I had none of these and the grounds in the office actually shook for a while and so did our working tables. Only a few of us were around when it occured.
How would I describe my feelings at that time? Sheezh! In a way , I was scared. Rapture would have been worst to others but a joy to us , really. But this was different indeed. At the back of my twisted mind, I was already thinking what would have happened if the office building would have collapsed. It was not a help to know that the flooring of my office are actually constructed of timber planks laid with carpet and they are older than my late grandmother, actually! There are times I often wonder if I am safe in such a building. With the oldest profession being carried out at the adjoining building next door and a hot restaurant on the ground floor, our place is like " an accident waiting to happen!" Anyway, touch wood! Everything has been going on fine all this while.
Coming back to the earthquake tremors of aftershock, a quick check in the internet revealed that a powerful earthquake measuring 7.9 on the Richter scale struck off the coast of Padang in southern Sumatra at about 6.17pm, causing tremors as far away as Peninsular Malaysia. This is indeed the first time I had felt such tremors. I must say that it was be quite unnerving and shocking indeed. Uptill now, I could still "feel" the tremors. It is really not a nice feeling. Then , a quick check at the net revealed that tsunami had hit Samoa Islands and other parts of the world causing massive tragedy, deaths and a trail of destruction. I can imagine the cries for help, cries for a hope and a future, cries of finding a loved one and so many other emotions. Gosh ! That was a close call. I shudder at the thought of any mishap or happenings which could have befallen my colleagues and I at that time. Though it occured only for a few minutes, we pray that it would not happen again. Yes! It was so nice to be able to walk out of the office today.... Alive!

2 comments:

Emily yoong said...

Hi Ivan,
My reaction was not so reflective like yours. I was lying down and i felt the tremors. I merely mumbled in my mind," Hei, earhquake eh?" Kinnda slow ya??
But when i read 2 days later that the Malaysian Red Crescent Society was in full gear getting ready in case a tsunami crisis struck Port Dickson and Penang, All i thought was, " Hei, Vive, Penang not safe lor."

A Pinch Of Salt said...

Emily,
Ya-lor! Penang does come into mind. It is scary but God is good! I thought " It's Rapture time! "