Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Lunch Lesson...

There are times I've often wondered what God has in store for me from the time I opened my eyes to a new day to the time the sun set. I wish He could have at least prepare me for the day or I could have a sneak preview of the day. I started the day quite alright, doing my work and concentrating on completing my cases , as usual. So, I thought that maybe, it is going to be another day of pitting against myself and doing my share of work to justify the salary my employer is paying me [ peanuts, actually but I am very thankful though! ]. Then, I was assigned to a case in town and I am glad that I was able to gather the facts and figures to the case. I even managed to share a view or two with the officers [ this is a rare occurrence, indeed ! ]assigned to the case.
Earlier I had made an appointment for a discussion in Malim and due to the unexpected early end to the assignment given to me, I headed out to Malim for some drinks. As usual, I had reviewed my files in the car before heading out towards Malim. There is this particular Indian stall in Malim which I've always liked to have some drinks. Incidentally, during the last flood season, I practically had my breakfast , lunch and tea at this place. The Indian food fare was quite extensive and tasty but it can be quite hot under the corrugated zinc roofing enclosure.As I was early, I went to this corner stall and it was quite crowded at that time. I then decided to sit on the same table with this almost 51-52 year old uncle who was reading the Chinese daily. I ordered my food and drinks, clunked it down my throat , sit back and relax for a while. Then, I began to notice this man on my table. Rugged and deep lines face, his skin was blackened by sun tan and really rough hands. He did not have any drinks in front of him and as I leaning back, I noted that he was using his handphone to call someone. After a while , he put down the phone and muttered that the guy on the other line was not picking up his line in Mandarin. Then he looked very strained and you could just see the hopelessness in his entire expression.
I don't know why but I just picked up my courage and greeted him in my half past six Mandarin. I then asked him what was the problem. He then answered that he was trying to call this man to pay up for construction work done. This was when he told me that he is a labourer. He then told me that he had undertaken a job to do renovations for another contractor and after the job had finished, the contractor had not paid up for his services. I then tried soothing and calmed him down with my "not so canggih" Mandarin. Occasionally, he would laughed at my Mandarin in which I profusely apologised as I tried to explain to him that the situation in society today can be quite a pain in the "you know where" nowadays. Nope! I didn't use any vulgarities but I was quite pissed with the fact that someone is constantly conning someone as we speak each day.
Anyway, he sorta shared with me that his wife is constantly "singing" [ in simple translation it means, wife is nagging him to bits! ] in his ears and that's why he is hopping mad with this contractor who had not paid up his dues to him. I seriously didn't know what to say except that I advised him that he needs to be patient and continually ask this contractor to pay up the debt. I then treated him to a cup of tea and I even asked him if he had eaten. He declined my offer for food but he told me he would take up my offer for a drink. I paid up for my food and the drinks when it arrived. I had no qualms of paying for this man. You could see that this was a man who was also concern about putting food on the table for his family. Now, I could relate to that. Later, I learned that he is called Ah Chai while I introduced myself. At one time, he took out the chit of paper from his wallet to show me the bill this contractor owed him. It was about RM 3,100.00 in all. When I took a look at the worn wallet, I managed to peek in and saw that there were only a fistful of dollars in it. I guess, with the work I do, it had indeed sharpened my skill in observation and I know that this man was certainly down. As we chatted up, I asked him if this contractor had paid him the amount. He told me that the contractor had paid up RM 2,000.00 and this too after meeting him up for 8 times -all the while taking small sums each time. Well, I told him, it is much better than not being able to get anything out of it. Then with almost teary eyes, he told me that it was his hard work money and he was really looking forward to save it for the family. I guess, he was choked with emotions for a while. Then he told me about his Malay friend who was also not paid for the job done and Hari Raya is just round the corner. He went further to explain that another friend is facing the same problem too and is at Pringgit begging another contractor to pay up. Looking at his predicament, I told him that if he had not eaten , I would be glad to pay for him. He declined and he spoke to me in Mandarin saying, " Young man, I know you are a good man. You meant well for an old man like me but I am okay. Thank you very much. I am already a little bit happier." At first, I looked at him with narrowed eyes, then he laughed a bit and explained, " Young man, I've seen so many con men in my life and one look at you, I know you are a good man. Not because you gave me a drink or offered to buy me a meal but there is something about you." Yunno, for a moment I thought that these are just sweet words from diabetic lips then I felt humbled by such words from a person I don't know at all. I guess, I've never looked at myself at that way. I have always deemed myself to be a really hard man and I can be very hard & difficult at times. But today, I have been blessed by such kind words.
Then Ah Chai told me if I am ever in need for house repairs, I could call him up and he gave me his numbers. Out of compassion from my heart, I don't know why, I offered a RM 50.00 to him and told him that he should get some meals for his family. I told him that it was all I could afford to give him as it was the middle at the month. He took one look at me, laughed, declined the offer flatly and told me to keep the money. Though I told him that he probably needed it more than me, he told me flatly a big "NO". As it was nearing my appointment time, I told Ah Chai that I needed to go to my appointment. We bid farewell and before I left I asked him what time was his appointment with this contractor. He replied " 1.00pm!" I looked at my watch and it indicated 2.45pm. I then asked him, " How long are you going to wait for him?". He smiled and replied in Mandarin, " I can wait. Not to worry, young man! He will come and he'll get it from me. That's for sure! Go on your way, now!" As I was heading to my car, Ah Chai called out to me in Mandarin, " Low Pan, sieh-sieh nee!" YEAH! I looked like a "kuli" and he calls me "low pan!"Tsk!Tsk!Tsk!
As I drove away, I reflected to myself, how many have suffered the fate like the one Ah Chai had to go through. This is our society today. A world of pretense and deceit. O God! Would these people walk freely without conscience and compassion? What a perverse generation in our society today! I don't know what would happen to Ah Chai and all the Ah Chais in this nation of ours. It is a grim and gruesome thought!
Let us pray that God would continue to watch over us, bless our lives as we bless others with lives! Thank you, God for another golden nugget in life!~

8 comments:

Rachel said...

Way to go, Comdr. !
Am so proud of you ^_^
In a world without hope, let the hope arise from us who have received grace freely.
Let us show a little kindness whenever possible... it goes a long way !

A Pinch Of Salt said...

Rachel:
Thanks, Rach. Just doing my bit to make this place a better place to live!~

A Pinch Of Salt said...

Rachel:
Thanks, Rach. Just doing my bit to make this place a better place to live!~

RuiXi said...

I like this =)
Hi uncle Ivan, have been following your blog for quite some time (hehehe) and I really like your posts. Just to let you know. =)

A Pinch Of Salt said...

RuiXi:
Thank you so much for dropping an encouragement to me. God bless!

Unknown said...

Bro, may God bless your compassion and open our eyes to the needs around us..

A Pinch Of Salt said...

KG,
Thanks for the encouragement,bro!

A Pinch Of Salt said...

KG,
Thanks for the encouragement,bro!