Friday, April 30, 2010

Youth Rocks!

God NEVER ceases to amaze me. I am ever thankful to Him for giving me a lot of life lessons even though I sometimes question my own ability and the situation I am in. I have learned that He will make things happen and that's exactly what happened during CLA Cafe Night 2010.You see, during one of my difficult quiet times, I was told to " just prepare the field and they will come." Seriously, I felt it was so difficult for me but at the end, I just obeyed. Yunno what, HE made it happened! All glory to Him! I just want to say a big Thank You to Vive too for encouraging me all week! Thanks, buddy!
Together with my trusty RR commanders i.e. Errol, Jessica, Stef, SLing, Ivy and my good friend, Lih Gin, we managed to man the Food Dept. with great fun, a lot of chill [ Thanks, Ivy for this phrase! ] and efficiency. Of course, we also had Faith, Eunice, Jocelyn, Josephine and Odelia helping us out in the hectic and sometimes chaotic kitchen area. It was really awesome time for all of us to able to serve a crowd of 120 screaming, adrenaline pumping, hormone-raging and fun-loving youths. What a crowd!
I must say that I didn't really know how many youths are going to turn up for the event while not having that type of figures can play havoc to your food planning. It wasn't a nice situation to be in and I really had to dig deep in myself to do what is right. Yeah! I did pour out my heart and mostly, on my knees to my Creator! Yes, I was stuck in a situation I was most uncomfortable to be in while balancing work and ministry can be very taxing indeed on the body , mind and soul. I am sure it is the same with Errol and Jessica and I just want to thank them for their steadfast commitment, help and passion in making this event a success. Their spaghetti and chicken chop were a great success indeed. Thank you very much, Errol & Jessica!
Heaven's Kitchen ( that's what we call ourselves ) rolled out food like Spaghetti, Chicken chop with fries and black pepper sauce, Golden Nuggets with fries, Hot dog with chili and mustard sauce, Creamy Mushroom soup with Garlic Bread, Yummy Waffles with a choice of chocolate, peanut butter or jam toppings, Tau Kee & fishball with har kor, lime & peanuts toppings, Toast Bread with kaya and sticky rice with coconut milk & longan. With a short prayer administered at 7.45pm, it was rock n roll time in the kitchen from then onwards. Plates and bowls of spaghetti, mushroom soup and chicken chop just went out like crazy while the drinks department with creations like Bahama Mama , Arsenic and all that went out like crazy too. Orders came in very rapid succession and we worked hard at keeping up with the orders. It was fun seeing everyone in their fun "tension " mode but I am proud to say the atmosphere in the kitchen remained very calm and cheery. There was a lot of laughters and fun in chaos situation. What puzzles me was where is all the load of food and drinks are going? I must say, these youngsters had food processors as their stomach and their holding capacity in the stomach must be bottomless! They just eat and eat and eat and eat and eat as though there is no tomorrow. Anyway, with food and drinks getting snapped up fast, it was easier for us to clean up!
Anyway, I took the opportunity to go the multi-purpose hall to see what was going on and it was really nice setting. Dimmed lights, decorations and nice spotlight on the stage dolled out a great ambience. Good music from Lara & her team, Stef and her team [ Tuneless Sounds ], Garret Quek & his team , Daniel Chia & Johanan Sim and special guest, Copper Coins led by Shearson Lian and his team helped lightened up the program for the nite.It was a night of good music, good fun and good food. I managed to speak and shook hands with some of the youths who came and it was encouraging to see so many of them turned up for an event such as this. My heart immediately warmed up to the fact that they, the youths, are in the right direction. They are happy with the food, the music, the fun and what more can we ask for, right? To cap off a fine evening, the kitchen staff and friends had exquisite wild boar curry courtesy of Mdm.Chin ( Ivy's mom ) as our supper. Many of us did not have time for dinner as we started out our duties but it was a beffiting gift of food for our fine work. It was heavenly indeed.
As we bid farewell to each other after a long day, I have been blessed and what a privilege to be able to work with such good friends. That, to me, is so priceless.
Thank you, God for enabling us!~

No comments: