Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Aftermath......Sad

After coming back from a successful BERSIH 3.0 rally in Melaka, I was greeted with tragic news that had befallen BERSIH supporters in our capital city, Kuala Lumpur. News of tear gas, chemical laced sprays and razor sharp blades barricades ( mind you, this is not barbed wires! ) filled the information centre in my brains. I began to feel a sense of sadness running through my heart. It didn't take me long before a phone call from a lawyer friend in KL sputtered out the pandemonium chaos the policemen had made towards the BERSIH supporters group. It was afterall a peaceful gathering to voice the wishes of the people for clean and free of corrupt election. Is that too much to ask for? I find it ridiculously cowardly to disallow the people to gather peacefully at Dataran Merdeka and the rest of the historical ground throughout Malaysia. Melaka was no exception too as it is the local municipality council rather than the policemen who acted like some side road big bully. I guess, in Melaka, it was peaceful with the exception for some troublemakers from the other side of the fence who tried to instigate some BERSIH supporters into reacting to their taunts. I guess, I did not stay back to find out but I do find it to be an exceptional big strange to find the police protecting these hooligan taunters. Hmmmmnnnnn....it kinda make you think whether the police are protecting the public, the tourist, the BERSIH fellas or in cohorts with the troublemakers? Bah! Either way, walk away from such taunts is the best! They can taunt all they want but the fact remains that they themselves are cowards for hiding under the cloak of corrupt leaders and corrupt practises.  

That is why I wouldn't be surprised if there had been "troublemakers" purposely been assimilated into the BERSIH rally supporters with the sole purpose to disrupt and bring the BERSIH rally to a disrepute state. Afterall, anyone or anybody who is willing to attend a BERSIH rally is welcomed. There is no background check and so on for the sole purpose is to gather, sit down in a peaceful demonstration of the rakyat's desire. Anyway, I was sick to my stomach seeing every Tom, Dick and Harry in yellow clothing will be clobbered and brought down. I am really appalled by the total brutal force inflicted by the policemen on the rally supporters. I am sad when I hear news from friends in KL who had swollen eyes, cuts , bruises and even physical pain resultant of the charges by the brute police force. I am realy saddened when even my lawyer friend and his friends were tear-gassed and clobbered by the club-swinging happy policemen. My God, some of the scenes on the media were just too gory and I want to ask the policemen on duty - what would have happened if their roles had been reversed or had the people actually  turned on them? Would they plead for their lives from being bludgeoned, kicked, punched and stomped on? Many on that day had kept to their original plan of peaceful demonstration of the BERSIH ideals but I believe the authorities had erred big time on using force on these people.

Just look at young men and women who were just pulled, punched and whacked up like some rag dolls by the streets! It is so painful to watch and it really breaks my heart seeing people in the PDRM regalias having a field day of brutal force to hack down people after people. Damn you! What provocation are you talking about when a little bit after 3.30pm the BERSIH organisers had asked the people to disperse as the objective had been achieved? My lawyer friend was there to relate to me that it was a little after 3.30pm that the cannons of tear gas cans started flying , sending everyone to run orderly but controlled. It was the charging of these men in blue that had caused many to fall and had injuries. Gosh, looking at the picture of a pakcik getting hurt or a makcik falling down is heartbreaking. To many, it is the consequences of taking part in such rally, to me, that's courage and tenacity to stand for what is right.

I was even told that many young men and women helped these folks to get up, cleaned up their bloodied face and even help to walk together with fellow supporters. So proud of these warm-hearted and great Malaysians from all walks of life and races. Wherever you are, I pray that each and everyone who had participated in BERSIH rally throughout Malaysia had been blessed by the experience and may you stand tall in knowing that you made a difference in someone's life. Most important of all, you had taken the first step of not living in fear, not afraid of undesirable underhand tactics to scare the daylights out of you and standing for what is right & just. 

To the skeptics of this rally, take a good look at our country today. Take a good look at the wastage that had occured and the malpractices that had surround us each day. Take a good hard look at our living conditions and our daily provisions. I see wastages, I see corrupt practises, I see abuse from the top to the bottom of the food chain and I see a perilous, imperious and relentlessly ruthless authorities who would not hesitate to hurt you in any way just to stay in power. To me, that is a breach of the simple ethical living in this country of ours. I love MALAYSIA - always will, always have because this is my homeland. There is no better place than MALAYSIA but the rot has to stop! It starts with you and I ~  
      

2 comments:

Michan said...

Hi Bro Ivan,

Glad to know that you've participated in Bersih 3.0 in Melaka. We too have our testimony in KL http://rayleesah.com/we-were-there-at-bersih-3-0/ :). Let's continue to stand for this noble cause.

Regards,
Lee Sah

A Pinch Of Salt said...

Hi Lisa,
Wow! I am much more amazed with what you people have to go through in the KL rally. Thank God you both are alright. YES, let's stand for a noble cause! God bless you, Lisa!