Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Underdog...

This morning before leaving for work, I had to drop my son, Joa Wee for his karate competition in Ayer Keroh, Melaka. Prior to this , earlier in the week, I had signed the parent's consent form for him to compete in the competition. BTW, he just started his karate lessons and I had encouraged him as I was all for some form of self-defence skills. Actually, I was quite surprised that his karate master had enrolled him in the competition so early in his training. I was informed that JW's karate master had confidence in him. Honestly, before signing the form , I had asked JW if he was ready for this. Being eager is one thing, getting your body battered in the kumite competition is no joke. You could be seriously hurt if you don't get it right or have the correct skills for it. JW simply replied that he has been training hard and that he was ready for it. He told me that he needs to be faster and able to fend of the kicks as he shared to me the technicalities of karate. I just listened to him and though deep down in me, from experience, I know that he would be really the underdog in the competition if he competes. But yunno, I like his 'underdog' tag and his pure brawns. Sure, why not? Afterall, he's my son and I should trust him , right? So, I agreed to it but I told him to get in shape & train hard. I then left him to fend for himself and I must honestly say that though I was busy at work, I make it a point to see his progress in secrecy. When I heard the drop of the dumbell in his room or the sound of some metal sounds, I know he was in training.
Then this morning, before departing, we prayed together at the living room. After prayers, I told him to remain humble at all times and to be a fair competitor. I told him not to hurt anyone lest cheat in his fights and be very level headed. JW promised that he would be and I trust him. The other thing I reminded him was to continual give thanks to God for every fight he goes thru whether he wins or loses. I told him that it doesn't matter if he loses or wins, he needs to be a fair competitor. He then told me that I was a dying breed. We smiled for a while but I had a good time with my son. I also told him that win or lose, I am proud of him. Yunno, I want to do the right thing and instill sportsmanship and integrity as a sportsman. That would make him stand tall even if he loses in the competition. After work at about 2.00pm, I called him and asked him if he needed any support. He just told me that he would be okay and I prayed for him again though in silence.
Then at about 6.00pm, SLing and me went to pick him up. He came into the car excitedly and told us that he won the bronze medals for both his participation. We immediately told him that we are proud of him and his achievement. He told me that he lost to a black belt competitor who eventually became the winner of the competition. He even added that he had to beat multi-colored karate belt participants before reaching the semis. He went on to say that probably his competitors under-estimated him because he was only a white belt holder and thus, the 'underdog' tag. Before I could say anything else, he said, " Yes, dad. I give thanks to God for my every win. I praise God when I went to pick up my medal." Now, that is mighty important for me. Though I would love to celebrate his success but I would rather he give thanks to God and praise Him first before anything else. Today, I am so proud of him for doing that and I told him so. Then, it is back to massaging the left side of his body and his back as he had taken some beating by the eventual winner during their bouts. That's what he told me , though! Anyway, he looked exhausted and went to bed early just now.
Yunno, I thank God that he started as the underdog and triumph not in medals alone but in himself. I am glad that he gives honour to God first and that meant more to me than the medals! That is priceless~

8 comments:

howtt said...

WELL DONE YOUNG SKL,

GREAT IS THE FATHER'S LOVE!
JUST TO SHARE THIS WITH SENIOR SKL:

A True Love Story.

It was a busy morning, about 8:30, when an elderly gentleman in his 80s arrived to have stitches removed from his thumb. He said he was in a hurry, as he had an appointment at 9:00 am.

I took his vital signs and had him take a seat, knowing it would be over an hour before someone would be able to see him. I saw him looking at his watch, and decided, since I was not busy with another patient, I would evaluate his wound.

On exam, it was well healed, so I talked to one of the doctors, got the needed supplies to remove his sutures and redress his wound. While taking care of his wound, I asked him if he had another doctor's appointment this morning, as he was in such a hurry. The gentleman told me no, that he needed to go to the nursing home to eat breakfast with his wife.

I inquired as to her health; he told me that she had been there for a while and that she was a victim of Alzheimer's Disease. As we talked, I asked if she would be upset if he was a bit late.

He replied that she no longer knew who he was, that she had not recognized him in five years now. I was surprised, and asked him, 'And you still go every morning, even though she doesn't know who you are'?

He smiled as he patted my hand and said, ''She doesn't know me, but I still know who she is.'

I had to hold back tears as he left. I had goose bumps on my arms and thought, 'That is the kind of love I want in my life'.

True love is neither physical nor romantic.
True love is acceptance of all that is, has been, will be, and will not be.

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!"

A Pinch Of Salt said...

Howtt:
Praise God for the story. Blessed you, man. I am inspired!

.justDeriss. said...

congrats joa wee...!!!
didnt know he is also one of the karate kid.
cos I AM TOO.
LOL.

A Pinch Of Salt said...

Deriss:
Wow! Karate chick-man! Don't play-play!! Thanks for dropping by! JW is only starting out!

Esther Tham said...

Congrats Joa Wee!!! No play play lo... can go for black belt d... lol

A Pinch Of Salt said...

Esther:
Thank you , Esther for dropping by. Thanks for the encouragement for JWee. He still has a lot to learn-lar! When coming to Melaka again? Looking forward to hosting you people again.It will be our pleasure!

cuilin said...

wohooooo JW! XD

A Pinch Of Salt said...

Cuilin:
Hey!Hey! Thanks for dropping by! Love your creativity & designs, girl!Nice of you to drop by!~