Thursday, April 9, 2009

Something must be done...

For several days now, I have this prompting in my heart to write about the physical state of our mission schools in Malaysia. Yunno, I really tried my best to keep silent over this but I can't fight that prompting. It would be called disobedience, right? I actually got this jolt sometime on 1st April when some of my old classmates from Melaka came down all the way from KL to attend the funeral of our hockey coach and Scoutmaster. Yunno, we have not seen each other for about 27 years and it was sorta a good but awkward "reunion" admist a funeral. Anyway,we spoke about our coach and at the same time, somehow, it got on to our alma mater. It really hit me hard inside. The physical condition of our alma mater is in shambles, dull and gloomy.
What is wrong with this picture? I have tried my level best to visit other missionary schools and I find the same is happening to the other missionary schools in Melaka. I tell you this, you can actually count how many missionary schools are there in our country and my state, Melaka but the physical building is so old and antique that I shudder at the thought of it collapsing one day. Then I came to know of the ugly truth that these schools are partialy funded. Mind you, partially- funded means they have to raise the other half themselves to take care of the school. I beg you to stop and think : missionary schools - partially funded??!!! We talk of progress, we talk of coming of age, we talk of technological progress, we boast of sekolah cemerlang sukan, sekolah cemerlang akademik but partially funded?!
Hey, there is something very wrong with this picture, right? You mean, the authorities/department/Government won't give full money to missionary school who produced scores of thousands of students each year from the past, present and the future from all walks of life, creed and color just because they are missionary schools? That's downright sad , isn't it? We often hear of great politicians, ministers and even successful businessman and businesswoman having the early, middle and high school education in MISSION SCHOOLS! So, why the lack of support for mission schools? Are they not in the defination of SCHOOL or SEKOLAH as we call it? I am deeply saddened when my daughter informed me that in her missionary school, their writing tables and chairs are considered antique and repaired sets while in my son's missionary school, parents contribute to buy chairs for the present students so that this will be left for the future student usages. I tell you, though I am not rich, I am not afraid to part my money for such worthy cause. In fact, I am appalled that missionary schools doesn't get the full funding which is the very basic of educating children, OUR CHILDREN, irrespective of race, color, creed or status! Come on ! School buildings has to be safe and I could still remember the tragedy of the collapsed computer lab in some school! Basic amenities would have to be in good working condition. I still remembered the toilets I used during my school days. It was really in shambles state and most of the time not working. It is either the flushing system is not working or the piping is so old that there is no water going through the pipes. This is the sorry state of some of our missionary schools. Please, don't punish the schools or make more "kertas kerja" or "kajian" on this matter. The message is loud and clear - HELP THEM. Helping these missionary schools doesn't mean you are helping any particular group of people. Like I said, children of all race, color or creed will pass through the walkways of these schools. You and I , irrespective whether we are Malay, Chinese, Indian, Eurasian, Punjabis, Iban, Dusun or whatever race you may be , have walked through that very hall ways or walkways that had made an impact in our lives. Help save the studying institute , environment and a place we can call special in our hearts. I am saddened that after so many years of independence , we are still buoyed by such discrimination even in our schools today.
The other thing in which I would like to lash out is to the so-called religious establishment in our country. The very moral instituition that we stand for in our religious obligation. Why shout so much about this and that when you don't even raise a finger to lighten the burdens of these schools financially to repair their schools and so on? Allow me to remind you that we collect thousands upon thousands of ringgit through missions giving, pledges and offerings but how many actually helped out these schools? This is the question I would like to ask each and every leader in our religious establishment today! It doesn't take a genius to understand that the only support these schools are getting is only the usage of the name. Wake up, people! We have to help out if these schools are to have any chance of survival. Be it a Methodist, a La Sallean, a Catholic, a Paulian, a Franciscan, Xavierian, Convent, Stella Maris, Victorian, KGV, Marist or whatever names you may want to call it, we need to stand and support them.
I am proud to say that I was educated in Anglo Chinese School (ACS ) which is a mission school. This is also where my classmates, Rusli , Aminur, Zainuddin, Ghanapathy, Devanathan, Edmund, Ong S.H., Philip Thomas and a host of others were educated. We didn't do too badly in our lives. We didn't turn out to be deviationis/thieves/Ah Longs/gangsters/serial killers or whatsoever, yunno. I am never ashamed of this fact because this is my alma mater. This is where I receive my education and my early training of harmony between the students. I know many of my friends today who had studied with me have been successful people in their lives. We really had a good time together and what was more important was that we touched each others lives. Uptill today, a group of my classmates are busy locating our classmates and keeping in touch with one another - all from ACS. That is what mission school does to us - the closeness and the friendship. I could never contact my Form 6 classmates because I went to a school that doesn't emphasize the need for interaction but merely & purely academics, rules & regulations!
Would you stand and declare the same with me? Would you spare your fistful of ringgit for rebuilding the missionary schools? If you do have the same passion with me , organise help at your end for these schools. They need your help - This is my appeal to each and everyone of you. This is no more about a missionary school - it is about the place where peoples' lives get touched with good education and good values of life !~ Are you with me?~

No comments: