Monday, April 20, 2009

Wet market experience...

Yunno, the funny thing about taking leave from work was for some rest & sleep. However, as the biological clock in my head struck 7.00am, my eyes were wide open. Though consciously I wanted to sleep more, the eyes would not shut and after some desperate maneuvers to get my self to sleep, I am resigned to the fact that I would have to wake up eventually as these eyes were meant to wake up. So, I thought to myself, " where will I go?" The answer that screamed in my head was " MARKET ". Ah.........it's not that I don't really like the market but..... I was thinking to myself, " Why not? It could be interesting! " So, off I went to the Central wet market.
Starting up my rustic car, I trudged along and finally had a great parking spot near the market. From here, I immediately went to the sea food area to get some stuff. One step into the section. you are greeted with the most "delightful" and intoxicating smell of rancid water and fishy smell. It was like a huge wake-up all for me. Anyway, one look at the seafood section made me realised that fish was scarce while it made me believe that some sort of epidemic had hit the fishes this time. They had red eyes and by experience, I know that they are really from the freezers,man! Prices? They were like crazy prices! Anyway, I saw some humongously big squids while I was actually interested in the scallops, if there were any around. I scoured the entire fish section and couldn't find the scallops. So, I settled for "lala" and bought 1kg of it. It cost me RM5.00 but I was happy. Then I scouted for some prawns and after rounding the area for about 4 times, I decided to buy 1 kilo of prawns which looked pretty good to me. One place in which I was stuck for some good minutes were at the catfish section. I saw these three young men slaughtering tons of catfish and boy! they are really quick. Chop, chop, gut, clean and the catfishes are in the bag,man! I stood for a while at the sides while I watched these guys. Mind you, these are young guys and they really worked hard. I guess, they were selling freshwater fish and I must say I didn't like their tilapia fish stock which looked horrendously wrong and pale. But the catfish was different ~ they were alive and swimming in the deep tub. What a sight! From experience, I knew these are cultured catfish and that makes up the numbers. Then I saw some guy selling "balitong" shell fish or "chut-chut" as they are fondly known. I really wanted to buy some for our meal [ sambal balitong is the best-lar...... saliva drooling! ] but one look at the mud drum where the balitong were made me lose my appetite, man. Maybe , next time-lar! Walking further down, I saw an old lady haggling the price with an old man near a drum filled with haruan fish or snakehead fish as they are known. Huge species while some looked monstrous , man! Anyway, I saw the old man struggling a bit as he brought out about 1 1/2 feet long haruan fish. In almost an instaneous reaction, he brought out a plastic head hammer and clubbed at the head! Two to three whacks and the fish went limp! Vaya con dious, fish ~ see you in the cooking pot!
Then, it's off to the poultry section and after walking around it for about three to four times, I finally picked up a chicken bird. Well, that's me. I am not impulsive especially in my spending. I guess, my family would have been tired if they were to go to the market with me. Then it's off to the beef and mutton section. I really gazed lovingly at the lamb shanks and beef steaks hanging by the hooks but I kept telling and reminding myself that I don't want to have to jumpstart my heart at the later part of my life. So, sadly, I just admired the beautifully cut pieces of mutton and beef steak and slided real slow to the vegetables section. Again, I was looking for some Brussels sprouts but I couldn't find nice ones. There were plenty of cabbages, leeks, carrots, potatoes, chai seam, bak choy, kai lan and others. I guess, I was in a spin over the assorted of colour of the vegetables! Then I looked at a pack of some green nuts and I soon realised that these are peeled "petai". Hmmmmnnnnn..... then I thought to myself , " Why stink the bathrooms, right?" So, I left the petai pack at where it was! Eventually, after spending about 45minutes at the market, I got myself some young ginger for the "lala"! That's it, then. Oh! BTW, there is a disabled singing duo who would be serenading you as you shop around in the wet market. So, spare a thought for them and drop some precious Malaysian ringgit of yours for a good cause, ok? Have a heart. They need it too!
I really had a good time at the market. The sights, sounds and smells were terrific. Nothing beats the market,man! Yeah! I was just kidding ,though! The truth is that it's quite dirty and really smelly at times but that's wet market! Afterall, you've gotta get your fresh stuff, right? Well, it beats going to the modern supermarket because it is really different when you are at the wet market. Somehow, I like the wet market better that the convenient supermarket! It's more.........authentic and sure, you can really bargain for a good price!
Yes! The "lala" tasted really good!~

1 comment:

lestrouble said...

Real Man go wet market okay, salute habis bro!