Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Nostalgic....Mamma Mia!

I was minding my own business at the sofa set when Soon Ling and Shwu Yuen cajoled me into going up to the bedroom with them to watch "Mamma Mia!"- the movie. I know that it was a musical show and I kinda cringed at the thought of watching a musical movie. Look! I am not a fan of musical shows! Anyway, don't mess around with the ladies of the house coz' there is more to lose than to gain, actually!!!
Anyway, I took up the papers , get myself comfy and started reading the papers while both important ladies in my life watched the movie. Yunno, they are kinda mischievous but smart in a way. They put on the DVD and played it loud to get my attention. Yes, occasionally I would peered up my reading glasses to see the movie and it kinda brought back a flooding of memories! Yunno, I ACTUALLY enjoyed the songs and the movie. [ Yeah! Yeah! I'm gonna be labelled as an OLD man for life-lar for this confession!~]
Now, I am reminiscing my younger days. So, get ready for some laughs and some old timer bonding thingy! Actually, when I was younger [ very-very young-lar ] mom and dad took me to a lot of musical movies namely from Elvis Presley movies to Cliff Richard movies. Those were "high flying" movies at that time. Then, there always the good ol' Lo Lieh, Alexander Fu Sheng and a string of Chinese Kung Fu artist movies to watch. Be it at the movie theaters or by the road side huge screen movie time - usually associated with some temples festivals. However, I remembered that at one time , Abba , [ Bjorn, Benny, Agnetha and Freda ] the Swedish group sensation was top of the charts and they made two movies about their success. "Abba, The Movie" was showing at Rex Cinema at that time. I remembered it well as dad came back home early and told mom to get us [ my sister , my brother and I ] ready for a movie night. We were happy that at least we could get out of the house and get dad to buy some theatre goodies - soft drinks, kuaci, fruits and sweets! We got our stuff and were ready to get into the theatre. But wait, I did not see dad queueing up to buy tickets nor see him having any tickets. Later years when I asked him of that day, he told me that the ticket inspector was his buddy, Mr.Rajan who had ushered us into the theatre and allowed us to sit at the side seats! It was fun seeing the movie and the ticket price at that time - 45sen! [ cheapest seat! RM 1.20 for 1st class seats and 80 sen for mid-range seats ! ]
Coming back to reality, it was fun watching "Mamma Mia!". The songs were fabulous and I knew the lyrics by hard,man! [ Yeah ! One of those "bakat terpendam & terbenam" thing-lar! ] I could still remember the lyrics and when I broke out to sing some of the songs amidst reading the papers, Shwu Yuen remarked, " Wow, dad! You actually know the lyrics. man! Not bad !" Then Soon Ling and Shwu Yuen burst into laughter knowing that I couldn't resist watching the movie! Yeah, The heart is willing but the flesh is weak!!!!!Ha....ha......
It is a fun movie, actually. Honestly, the story line blended well with the Abba songs and watching the stars acting out their roles can be fun too. That night, we watch the movie twice, just for fun and to enjoy the songs! One more thing, it's crazy to see old ladies & men in tight 70's clothings , singing and dancing to Abba songs at the end of the show!!! That, to me, is a classic!!

Have a ball, go watch the movie or better still...................get a DVD copy!

No comments: