Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Flood & Politicians...a weird concoction!

While at work yesterday morning, I was rushed to a flood prone area in Alor Gajah. Together with my colleague, CKGoh and my trusty Proton, I thought to myself, "Here we go again! Mud and stench again. Poor wife had to scrub hard at my clothes again !" As we arrived at Garden of Blue Clouds i.e. Taman Awan Biru, there was a massive jam and plenty of politician cars, police cars and fire brigade tankers lined up along the narrow roads of the taman. This made maneuvering along the road most difficult as I've got to get to some of the houses for my work. Never have I ever seen such a big circus; politician cars, policemen of all ranks, the fire brigade departments, scores & scores of mandors! As I managed to maneuver towards the main road, I was hit smack with the CM's Triton parked right at the center of the road blocking all ways to the houses I am supposed to work on. As I tried asking the driver to move the car to the side a little so that I could squeezed through but I was greeted with an angry wave of hand signalling me that he was not ready to back away the car nor he was going to do anything about it! Yeah! Talk about humility of public servants! My foot! For crying out loud, he parked the damn car in the middle of road, man! Why? Obviously not to soil some politicians shoes who was only there for some publicity stunt! No disrespect to anyone on this matter but parked the car at the side-lar so that there is a free flow of traffic! Undeterred, I reversed my car and looked for another alternative route road and I managed it only to be stopped by two "paku on the shoulder" policemen who took one look at my face and my Proton and waved me on. Some security for CM and the Assemblyman who was in the midst of calming down some very angry houseowners there!
My point is that this is the sixth time these houseowners had experienced the flash flood and mind you, these are low cost house owners, man! I was told that the Assemblyman came by to look into the plight of these people during the flood occurrences earlier - words, promises, hand out some cash and NFA [ No further action! ]. Hello! These are low or sometimes middle income people of all races living here! People who have worked hard and saved every penny they could to buy these houses and the items in teh house-lar. [ I don't doubt that there are some who don't belong to this income bracket, though! ] Have a heart,man! They don't need political sweets! They need well-regulated and bigger drains-lar! They need solutions for the flash flood-not handouts & political sweeteners. As I looked into two families which I have come to know well as I have been attending to their cases, Aslan* [ not his real name - a hardworking Malay man - He works in an electronic factory. ] and Soo* [ not his real name - a Chinese carpenter ] , I have nothing but sympathy for them. Their houses were in a total ruins as the flash flood ravaged their beds, their furniture , their electrical items , their clothes and other properties. It was sad for me personally to see their losses. I would feel devastated too if I were in their shoes right now. If only you people could imagine the trauma these families goes through each time it rains in this part of the town.
I noted with much amusement when I saw the big shots being photographed with some cangkul, digging out dirt from some drains and walking around the taman telling the people that bigger drains would be built. Really publicity stunt show,man! Normally, they are not even seen changkulling their own yard for that matter! [ Sigh! ]. I am usually not critical towards our assemblymen, big shots of the Govt.departments and so on as they are also human beings but what I saw displayed yesterday was pure publicity stunt. These big shots and important people get to go back to the comfort of their homes while the residents of Garden of Blue Clouds looked towards re-building their bleak lives all over again. Look, these are basis amenities and necessities in a taman. Help the people, cut the red tape and the procrastination on who is responsible for what and so on. Get the mad house together and give meaningful lives to these people who had toiled in whatever capacity they are in, to contribute meaningfully to this nation. Look! These are the people who put the big fat "X" in their ballot papers to return the present people to govern. Please repay their good faith with these basic facilities and make their lives more livable in their already small homes. Gosh! Our governing bodies have a moral and social obligation to fulfil these basic facilities. If we continue to be ignorant and constantly filled with a lackadaisical attitude, the people will be disillusioned and that's sad. Even my colleague , CKGoh felt repulsive over what had happened and this was his first experience at the stench-filled mud and unbearable rot smell. This not the type of mud you want for your body therapy ~ this I can tell you!
Anyway, this is my two sens input!~ No offence intended!

2 comments:

Liz Teh said...

Hello Ivan! Well, yeah, I totally agree! I don't know much about politics but enough to know that most of us are getting a rough deal with the current leaders in office. Well, prayer can change a lot of things.

Btw, I left a comment on your CLAY Cafe night post. :)

Blessings,
Liz Teh

A Pinch Of Salt said...

Hi Liz,
Thank you so much for taking the time to drop in at the blog. OHYes! Thank for the nice words of encouragement. Truly blessed! Be blessed!