Friday, December 19, 2008

Mom & the Chinese Passover....

I just received a call this morning from my mom asking me to come over to the house for the Chinese Passover celebrations! Yeah! It's "tong yuin" time again! For the benefit of my non-Chinese friends, it's the red and white glutinous rice balls in pandan flavour & gingerly sweet syrup time! [ That's how I like it, actually. ] Nowadays, they would fill the balls with red bean paste and so on. You can get them in season or out season in the supermarkets! This tradition has been with Chinese families for generations and mine is no exception. Honestly, I totally forgot about this and yeah, it's about a month to Chinese New Year! So sweet of mom!~ Love this lady a lot!
Yunno, I am definitely not that kind of guy who would show my affection in public [ seriously, I really can't do it ] but I most definitely can express it through my writing much better.Some say it's good while some say it's not. So, I'm learning to use the middle path, really. A little bit affection and a little bit of writing!
Okay, mom has been instrumental in shaping my life a lot. She is helpful, kind but she has an explosive temper. [ Now, I know for sure where I got my explosive temper!!] She's very concerned about my life but never ever intrude in my life. Mom & dad really gave me a lot of space in my life. I learnt independence early - got into some trouble but mom & dad stood by me every minute of my life. I love mom because she really cares for me and the family. Even though she may be disappointed with me in my early years, she never showed it. Instead, she continually talked to me and got me to think a lot about my life. Yeah! Mom whacks/caned me a lot when I was younger but never abusive. [Yeah! Spare the rod and spoil the kid! ] She treated all of us fairly though her obvious favourite was my youngest brother! She was the one who really took care of our food, our clothes and our daily lives. I want to share one occasion that is very close to my heart regarding my mom. I remembered that dad was working with a very hard boss those days and food was very difficult for all of us. Even on the eve of CNY, dad did not get his salary [ a mere RM 250.00 at those days ] and he somehow managed to get some chicken and some dishes for us. Later in my years, mom confided in me that dad had to sell his favourite working tools to get some money for us to have something to eat for CNY eve. Anyway, as usual, mom was there to cook rice and ensured we had our fill as children and we went out to play. Somehow, as a boy I was always inquisitive and I went back to the kitchen. There I saw mom & dad picking up the scrawny and boney leg part of the chicken [ kai kiok! ] and they had their meal! Those were the only parts that were left. They never complained but quietly eating away. That to me is the epitome of what sacrifice is all about. That stuck in my mind and heart for a very long time. In fact, it impacted me in a way. I learn a lot from those type of experiences from my mom & dad. BTW, we didn't get any new clothes either because dad didn't receive his salary that day. [ BTW, in fact, the boss did not pay my dad for 3 months and it was only when dad threatened to quit that he paid my dad one month salary citing difficult times! Sounds familiar in today's society?! Sigh!] As children, young as we may be, we understood the graveness of the situation faced by mom & dad because they tell us the truth and hide nothing from us. Never mind, if we did not have much to eat or new clothes. We were just happy being together as a family. That was more important to us. There were many incidences of love and sacrifice with mom but suffice to say, she's just a great woman!
Mom really sacrificed a lot when dad had stroke and cancer. But what marvels me was her tenacious will to continue to be with my dad throughout the difficult times and to continue to encourage each and everyone of us to go on with our lives even after his death. Again, she NEVER interfered in our lives and she always reminded me to take good care of my family. She is a wonderful grandmother to my children and my children love her a lot! The other thing that astounds me is her giving heart. Just like my dad, she is always helping out and giving all she could afford. I guess, her good hearted ways and helpful nature rubbed in all of us, her children. She was the one who taught me to speak the truth. She tells me that it is better to tell the truth than continue to speak more lies and get into more difficulties. She also continually reminded me that I am to remain faithful and to constantly protect the family. She never failed to tell me this every time I visit her at home. In many ways, mom is a woman of great courage, a great encourager and most important of all, a mother!
So, as I celebrate the Chinese passover, I just want to express my deepest gratitude and love for my mother, Tan Ah Moy [ I've asked her before "Why Tan Ah Moy? She replied ," Your great grandma says it is easier to remember and it's popular at that time!" ] BTW, she's a great cook ~ Hainanese chicken rice - the bestest!
Mom, Thank you for bringing me up and thank you for your love! You have a very special place in my heart together with dad!
So, to all the great moms and dads out there who had been inspirational & encouragement to your children wherever they may be :- Cheers to you !~

7 comments:

Liz Teh said...

Hey Ivan!

Wow! What a wonderful post! Like u, I'm better at expressing myself thru writing.

Thanks for sharing bout ur mum. Was very encouraged.

I simply love those red & white balls of flour in ginger "soup". I have very fond childhood memories of them. Didn't know its called the Chinese Passover though. My knowledge of Chinese culture is very poor.

And Hainanese chicken rice...ahhhh...are u Hainanese?

Thanks for dropping by my blog and encouraging me about Christmas. Ur right, of course.

howtt said...

SU KI LANG

CHINESE NO PASSOVER LAH. CHINESE SAYS PASS PASS OR OVER OVER. R U THERE. 1000 APOLOGIES

Standing-Still-Sun and Syrupy Sweets

That's what solstice means ~ Standing-Still-Sun. The precise moment of the 2004 Winter Solstice will be Tuesday, December 21, 2004 at 7:42 a.m. EST. You probably know that Winter Solstice occurs when, because of the Earth's tilt, our hemisphere is leaning farthest away from the sun; therefore, the sun has its lowest arc in the sky and thus we will have the shortest day, and the longest night, of the year. So, enjoy your day, or if you get lucky, your night!
What you might not know is that in the Chinese calendar, the Winter Solstice is called Dong Zhi (winter's arrival) and it's traditionally celebrated with a Winter Solstice Festival. The meaning behind the festival can be traced back to the Yin and Yang philosophy of balance and harmony. After this celebration there will be days with longer daylight hours, which symbolize positive energy flowing in ~ apparently after the Winter Solstice, it'll be all Yang from then on for a long time (Yang = good, bright, warm). Hooray, I need it. Gimme some Yang.
Dong Zhi is also the time for the family to get together to make "tong yuen". Tong yuen are sweet, round dumplings made of rice flour and bean paste which are boiled in sweet syrup. Literally, "tong yuen" means roundness and so the dumplings symbolize reunion, especially family reunion, as well as smooth relations among family members. The syrup is symbolic of sweetening speech and action towards one another. Eating tong yuen is also supposed to protect you from bad luck.

A Pinch Of Salt said...

Liz
Yup, hainanese all the way-mah!yes!Yes! 9 out 10 are crazy and angin while the last one is the worst of all! Ha...ha.... Thanks for the nice words. Chinese passover is the word I coined. It's easier to remember! Now, go and enjoy the reds and whites!

Howtt,
Su Ki! Chinese pasover is a word I coined-lar! Easier to remember! Don't want to strainteh brain! Thanks for the nice words!

Liz Teh said...

Oh, so ur a "brother" la cos...I'm also HAINANESE! hahaha! It struck me when u mentioned Hainanese chicken rice and then I look at ur photo...ada Hainanese "chap". :)

What?! 9 out of 10 angin & crazy? Hmm...actually I kinda agree! LOL! We Hainanese are a hot-tempered, moody lot. *sigh*

A Pinch Of Salt said...

Liz,
Welcome to the club! Plenty of Hainanese people around ,actually! Errol, Jessica, Howtt, Sherry & Alvin Lung, Agnes,Abby[can't speak a word!]just to name a few.
Hey,it really warms the heart knowing another Hainanese person! Be blessed~!

howtt said...

GENERALIZATION!!!

CAN'T SPEAK A WORD? NO MAN, U R

NOT ACCURATE! 'GUA GONG MEK LU BOH

BUT!" MOPRE THAN 1 WORD MAN. IF I

SPEAK MORE.... REVIVAL COMES MAN.

ANYWAY, WE WILL NOT DISPUTE 2

PUT A PINCH OF SALT AS OUR

PRESIDENT. WILL SEE HOW HE

MISBEHAVES. IF HE'S NOT BEYOND

CURE,THEN WE'LL PUT HIM UNDER

PENSION SCHEME.

HIP HIP HOREH!!! MORE SALT

PLEASE.

ViveAlive said...

Lang Boti Lang, Kui Boti Kui...Suki Nang.....

I feel the "wind" in this posting.....