Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A RM 7.00 experience....

This morning, I had travelled to an oil mill plant in Segamat for work and I wasn't really feeling good about it. It is actually the last day of work for me before I take a break for the year. I was really more into trying to work out at my table as much work as possible so that I could have a peace of mind when I go off for the holidays. I know that there'll never be enough time to finish all work but the least I could do was to clear as much as possible. I was really looking for a much needed rest.
Anyway, I stopped by at my favourite pit stop at Tong Seng coffee shop for some chicken rice and pau. As I ordered my meal, in came an Indian family of five [ 2 adults and 3 children ]. I could clearly see that they weren't even middle-income. [ No offence intended, actually. ] What I saw touched my heart a lot. The father ordered 3 plates of rice and a small plate of chicken. By experience, you know that it is not enough to feed the family of five. Somehow, the father divided the rice into 5 plates and everyone had a small portion of rice and a small portion of chicken meat. It was a difficult sight for me because I know, the food is just not enough. The father and mother of the family had cucumbers and probably, one or two piece of chicken each.
Yunno, many a times, we are blessed with so much and we still complain of this and that. Like it or not, we are in one way or another guilty as charge on this matter. We procrastinate and grumble too much, right? This little scene in the coffeeshop taught me a lesson indeed.
Again, talking about this till the cows come home won't help one bit and so, I decided to put in action what I felt. I paid for another 2 plates of chicken rice and I asked the proprietor to send it over to the Indian gentleman's table. I told the proprietor that I need not acknowledgement or whatsoever. All I needed is for him to send the food over to them, say it's paid and nothing else. I then took my pau order at the shop front and walked away from the shop. Before walking out, I turned around and caught a glimpse of the smiling faces of the children and the stunned looks of the parents. I quickly went to my car and I left the coffeeshop. Maybe some of you will say that I am a fool to do such thing or even I am a greater idiot for squandering my financial resources. I must say that the plates of chicken rice cost me RM 7.00 but the joy on the faces ~ priceless! That, to me , is totally worthwhile! Honestly, I saw the need and I responded to it. No frills, no hype, no fuss nor frenzy scenario! Be blessed!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Bro, i salute you. That was money well spent. Thank you for being a blessing to others.

howtt said...

SU KI LANG

WELL DONELAH. KEEP EARS OPEN.

WHEN CALLING COMES, RESPOND AS

LIKE JEREMIAH.

7 IS A SIGNIFICANT NUMBER 2.

GUD N FAITHFUL SERVANT.

Jade said...

I'm happy and proud that i have a good brother in law in my family!!!

ViveAlive said...

Bro...you walk your talk....Keep up the good work......RM 7 might have a million of cheers to the people...no matter whether they are Indian, Malay, Chinese, Iban or etc...we see people as people.....

Jade...now only you know kar? Email me...I will tell you more how kind is your brother in law... :-)

Be Blessed.

IGGY / JERRY said...

"Who is this good person that sent these extra food when I have so little to offer to my family".This was what must be playing in the the father' mind, until God spoke to him saying, " BE STILL AND KNOW THAT I'M YOUR GOD". Bravo bro, God uses His people to serve his people.

Cecilia Zamira said...

Praise God for you and I thank God that you are my friend so that I can learn from you.

A Pinch Of Salt said...

Hi everyone,
Thank you so much for your kind words. I am overwhelmed by your gestures. Thank you.