Thursday, December 18, 2008

Home Alone...

I am halfway through my "home alone" week as Soon Ling and the children, Joa Wee and Shwu Yuen are at kiasuland errrr..... Singapore. They are at Ting & Yam's place. [ Soon Ling's sis and brother-in-law ] Throughout the days, I've been getting updates from them on the places they have been and so on. Much that I would like to join them, I am at work and it isn't easy not being able to be with them.
How does home alone feel? Well, I must say that uptill now I am okay with it. Generally, it isn't easy but I have managed so far. I guess, I am not used to having a very quiet atmosphere. Almost too quiet that you can hear the pin drop! Anyway, I miss the wifey and the kiddos! So far, the most decent meal I've ever had was on Tuesday night when I went over to Dinesh & Abby place for dinner! [ Thanks guys for giving me really great food and a fun time! ] To be honest, I am quite okay with meals ~ I'm kinda simple on meals. You wouldn't believe what I had for meals, actually. Don't cringe now! I had Cintan mee for dinner on Monday, roti paratha for Wednesday dinner and Maggi mee curry for Thursday dinner. For Friday, I'll probably have bread. By the way, I am really okay with the meals. No problems here! Belly is filled , I go to sleep-lor!
What I miss most is actually having Soon Ling to share my thoughts and so on after a day at work. I really miss talking to her and the children. In a weird sense, I miss sternly "reminding" Joa Wee for staying up too late for TV or having Shwu Yuen make me a cup of Nescafe O. Yeah! It's those little little things that makes it all most memorable.The other thing is that I have been routinely washing clothes and cleaning up the place that I am actually like Soon Ling now! Arrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh! It's scary! Yeah!Somehow, I have become paranoid with washing clothes and keeping the place swept and cleaned! Ha.....ha........ OhYes! I've even folded the clothes and put them back into the respective drawers and so on. I guess, I must say that I raised a lot of eyebrows when I used the washing machine the other day. I guess, my back row neighbors knew that the wife wasn't around [ coz'normally Soon Ling would be doing the laundry each night without fail! ]. So, when they saw me drying up the brassiere and the undergarments and a pile of clothes, they must be thinking I was having another woman in my home!!! The actual fact was that this was our previous day load and I had to divide the load to two batches! It was fun watching their faces and hearing them talking to one another if I had another woman in my house while my wife was away! I tell you, I couldn't help myself laughing all the way! Humour does find its way in the weirdest of situations!
The other thing was that my young neighbours [ students from the nearby college ] on the right side of my house noted that it has been a few days since they last saw Soon Ling and the children. Finally, one of the lads asked me this morning, "Morning , uncle, tak nampak auntie?" Being naughty, creative and mischievous, I looked sober and replied curtly, "Auntie dah lari sama anak-anak-lar empat hari lepas!" He was like confused, taken aback and politely answered," Oo! Sorry uncle!" Then I started to smile and laughed a little bit. Then he too laughed knowing that he had been had by my morning prank! Then, I told him that wifey and children had gone to Singapore. I could see that he sighed a big relief. Probably, he would have thought that he had asked the wrong question to me this morning. I could still hear the rest of the girls in the house laughed aloud as I turned to my car to get to work. As I was about to get in the car , one of the girls remarked, "Kelakar jugak, uncle ni! "
Well, I have another 3 days to go before they are back. I am surviving this and a little humour does helps along way.~ Cheers!

7 comments:

ViveAlive said...

Eh....sure or not you are lonely....see your hair is trimmed everyday..... :-)

Allan said...

wanna be like the boy in the home alone movie?? hehe.. (",)

A Pinch Of Salt said...

Vive/Allan,
Woi, sure-lar! I am home ALONE-lar!

A Pinch Of Salt said...

Vive/Allan,
Woi, sure-lar! I am home ALONE-lar!

Lis said...

absence makes the heart fonder :)

ViveAlive said...

Absence make heart go fonder or hearts get fatter??? Emmm...but why ah everyday I see the hair is cut and trimmed.....for the past few days...emmmm...emmmm...emmmm....

A Pinch Of Salt said...

Hi Lisa,
Thanks for the word of encouragement. Vive is insanely jealous that I have a great haircut! Ha.....ha......