Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Coffee shop snippet....an irony

Reeling from yesterday’s shocking exposure, I went to work early and stopped at a coffee shop to have my cup of kopi-o and some bread. Then I noticed that there were 3 ladies next to my table and they were clearly concerned mothers. I was minding my own business when one of the ladies started the conversation with the rest while I was an earshot away. I couldn't really not help listening in to the conversation.
“Yesterday-ah, I was so kek seam when I went to take my son’s report card. Aiyoo, see pek char! Kek seam , kek seam, I tell you!“ This is said in the most dramatic fashion you can think of. Then another lady remarked, “ Yah-lor, I also see pek kek seam with my son’s result. I give him everything. I don’t know what to do already!” Another drama queen in action, really!
Sigh! It sounded like me yesterday and I said to myself pathetically , “ Welcome to the club, ladies! Now only you know-kah! “ I then sipped my coffee and then I realized , “ Gosh! I am eavesdropping on people’s conversation and that’s bad!” Anyway, I switched off my ears for a while and then continued munching on the kaya filled bread. That’s the best solace I can relate to for the time being.
Then I heard one of the ladies said, “ Comparing with the both of your sons, my son also did not do well. I am very disappointed with him.” Well, I guess , this lady was more refined than the other two. She then continued, “ Sometimes, it is hard to understand boys. You tell them right and they’ll just go left. We have just got to guide them, I guess.” Then one of the crudies [ that’s what I’ll call the other two ] said, “ I know-lar but I tell you-ah, we give the best-ah including the best tuition every where in town and sometimes, I feel like a siao char bor running here and there. But with his results like this , I paiseh-oh!” The other crudies jammed in, “Ya-lor, I also feel like that. So char-lar, my boy. Feel like scolding him until he turned blue in colour! I tell you, I want to go siao already with this boy! Aiyoo, how ah? “ Yup, you heard me right on this! The frantic cries from concerned mothers!
Then the crudies continued, “ I tell my son that I no study well when young so he must do well but he don’t listen. I only want him to do good in life later. Aiyoo, so kek seam, you don’t know lar”. The other crudie remarked ,” Yah-lor, I also the same. Promise, promise but never do one. Who don’t want their son to do well in life, right? No become doctor, lawyer never mind-mah. Most important, study hard ,make money-mah. Correct or not? ” The refined one said,” I know how you both feel. I also feel the same way. Sometimes, it so hard.” Then she further asked, “ So, what’s your boys results? “ The crudies and the refined one told each other of their son’s results. The gist of it is that their sons got marks mostly above the 80- 85 marks margin line and they are LAMENTING over it! Boy! I wanted to shout out loud, “SHUT UP, Ladies! You should have seen my son’s marks and you’ll all be probably have a multiple cardiac arrest and proceed on the glorious path to meet God faster than you think you can!” Then, I completely shut myself off from their ridiculous conversation! That serves me right for eavesdropping from three overly concerned mothers! I guess, I am made more stupidified by such conversations!
As I sipped the last bit of my coffee from the bottom of the cup and swallowed the last piece of my bread, I left the coffee shop feeling much better than I first walked into it. The really bright spot was that the coffee tasted good while the bread was superb even on a gloomy rainy day. As rain pelted me as I walked to my car, I was slightly wet but I didn’t care. I then reflected what had happened this morning. I take heart that I have done my best for my family and I will certainly stand by my son but it's gonna take a lot of hard work from him though. The rest, I will leave it in the hands of my Father in heaven and fight another battle in another day.

3 comments:

Allan said...

wow.. haha. when is it? may be wanna join. :D let me know the details.

Allan said...

oopss.. salah click. hehe

Mia said...

you are such a good writer. I was reading your blog during my church's mid year production drama practice. Everyone around me was either sobbing or very quiet (cos of the dramatic music and heart wrenching acting) but there I was trying hard not to giggle!

You are seriously farnee! keep up the good writing!