Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A Sight....

Yesterday, I was leaning against the road guardrail along Jalan Yong Peng infront of Maybank, Yong Peng branch waiting for the arrival of a couple whom I have made an appointment for some work. The weather was sweltering hot but there was a good cool breeze. I must say that waiting at the road side can be an uncomfortable feeling when cars just zipped and whizzed past you in the speed of lightning. Well, not that fast but fast enough to scare the daylights out of you. Anyway, here I was, enjoying myself and waiting when I heard the sound of the Chinese traditional trumpet blaring. It wasn't bad sounds but very "kesian" type of music. It wasn't so evident at first but later on, the music became louder and more "sayu", I guess.
In all honesty I thought it was a funeral procession because normally such music would be blown or orchestrated. Somehow, in the midst of fidgeting and waiting I was intrigued by the song. Really, really, sad sounding and the type that would wrenched your heart adn bring tears to your eyes. Anyway, it didn't take long for the music to be really loud and somehow, I just looked across the road and instantly, I was taken back by the sight I saw.
There was this man who was holding a walking stick blowing the trumpet and making the music while on a wide flatcart lies an individual with stumps as his feet moving the cart with his padded hands. You could see that they were sweating under the hot sun and they looked dirty. Occassionally, the trumpet blower would stop blowing the trumpet, rummaged the sleeve of his t-shirt over his eyes, brow and forehead to wipe off the streaming trickling of sweat. I then ran across the street to have a first hand view of the two individuals. What I saw shocked me, actually. I was almost moved to tears but I held back. This trumpet blower is partially blind while it is the man of the flat cart that is moving them both in the right direction. As they trudged along the road in front of Econsave building, I saw people of all walks of life putting in coins and ringgit notes into the biscuit tin located at the front the cart. I did not miss out in giving what I could afford. The man on the cart kept thanking the generous public for their kind contribution. What moved me the most was that people from all races came to drop a few coins and ringgits into their tin. They didn't care if these two individual were Chinese or whatever, they gave from their hearts and that gave me a glimmer of hope on our society today. I was warmed in my heart when I saw a very young Malay girl put in some ringgit in the tin. Then she turned and smile to her parents who also let go of a few ringgits into the tin. Then a passing Indian man on his motorcyle stopped at the sides and dropped in some ringgits while supermarket staff of all races came out to do the same. It was a wonderful sight indeed.
For once, I cried out in my heart " Thank you, Lord for humbling me and restoring faith, hope and compassion. " I have learnt what it meant to able to be part of a caring society though in a very small way. I have learnt too that we are so blessed to have so much and yet we complained that we never have enough. Just look at the two individuals who have nothing and yet they do all they can to garner a fistful of ringgit to survive each day. It is not everyday that you'll see such scene in your life but when you do get the opportunity, it would change your perspective of life a tiny bit.
Have a great day ahead! Know that He is always by your side!!!~

2 comments:

anna said...

wow. this is so touching, thanks for sharing. racial unity comes in unexpected packages :)

A Pinch Of Salt said...

Anna: Thanks for dropping by! I have been blessed by the experiences that I go through each day!Hope you'll be blessed too!