Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Fun....

In the midst of hazy conditions and so on, I managed to catch some quality time with my daughter, SYuen. Incidentally, I was on my leave and so I thought it would be great if father-daughter could spend some time at the new Jusco. Afterall, I haven't keep my end of the bargain by spending quality time with my daughter and my son. I know that there is no end to work but sometimes, it is easier said than done. It is different if you are at the top of the food chain whereas if you are at the middle-rung or the bottom rung ( like me! ) , it can be quite a life for you. Say what you want, I know because I am at that rung right now. So, whenever I get a chance to rest or spend time, I'll take up on that. So, today, we started out by having nasi lemak breakfast in Bachang. Glad that SYuen like it and I called her favourite dish - sotong sambal! She loved it. It was such a joy to see her eat and talk. Earlier , while in the car, we sang to every song we knew together which was belted from my CD player in the car. Ahh! Such harmony and fun. Yup, I guess, it runs deep in the family that we can sing! Perhaps, I should distance myself as I am mainly the bathroom singer rather than at the fore front! Anyway, it was fun all the way.
From Daiso to Popular Book store, we go through things and chatted. We spend a lot of time at the book store as both of us like to read books. We also flicked through some of the CD's and DVD racks while I was mostly at the cook book corner. From here we moved on to Jusco departmental stores and then finally to the supermarket. We discussed on what we would do for tea time and we came up with chicken, sausage and mixed vege puff. We were like excited puppies as we shopped for the ingredients together. As we moved from one corner to another of the supermarket, I am genuinely happy to see the variety of food stuff and upgrading of food list. We both then stared at one of the worker who sliced a probably 5 kg salmon. We noted with interest that the head was gone but the fish guy just sliced the salmon expertly with the use of a sharp knife. Then it was off to another Jenak fish which was expertly cut up into fish steaks. We looked at the humongously big razor clams, NZ mussels and big size scallops. Nope, we didn't buy any of them but I gave some insights to SYuen on determining the freshness and the quality of the seafood products. We bought some bottled apple juice drinks, our pastry stuff and went back home. It was at this time that we were met with the worst kinda haze I've ever seen.
Anyway, upon reaching home, we started out pressing our pastry and developing the core for our filling. I then cooked the filling and soon. SYuen was rolling out the pastry and getting the stuff ready. As we work together, it was a fun time and soon, we had some chicken,sausage and mixed veg puff ready for consumption. The taste - love it. Our greatest home food critic had some general comments but overall, it was delicious. Ah! Once again, Father-Daughter combination triumphed again over the difficult terrain of culinary skills and masterfully countered the home food critic. At least, we won't be having the usual stuff anymore in our home. We can only climb higher and attained greater impact on the food prepared over the next few generations! One small step for the daughter is one giant step for the Father towards getting the daughter ready to take over the cooking duties from the home food critic! Hahahahhahahahhahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
In all seriousness, I would like SYuen to learnt to do some cooking and learn some cooking tips. At least, it would be useful for her when she needs to be independent one day. I may not be around all her life but the least I could do is to teach her some fine cooking tips and cooking treats for my children so that they too could be a blessing to others one day. To me, I must thanked Asian Food Channel for opening my culinary senses and really getting the food on the table for our gastronomical adventure in food. Sometimes, to be honest, simple food like steamed ubi kayu cecah gula or simple steamed keledek or sweet potato gives me a lot of pleasure indeed. I guess, simple things in life together with simple food makes me a happy man! I am contented today that I got to spend time with my daughter and we managed to make it a fruitful day indeed. That was fun!~

4 comments:

Abby said...

Wow..looks delicious:) Great to see you both bonding so well together..enjoy the times, the kids grow up too fast!

A Pinch Of Salt said...

Abby,
You are right. They grow up fast and they have their own set of schedules! So, having spent some tiem with daughter was just great! Thanks for the encouragement!~

Unknown said...

Thats a great idea to spend time with your daughter!
Quality family time is very important ;)
Good to see u guys are so happy and doing father-daughter activities together-gether.

A Pinch Of Salt said...

Hi YiVon,
Thanks for the encouragement. It is a well spent time with daughter!~