Friday, August 8, 2008

Beijing Olympics 2008.... Wow!

I couldn't help but marvelled at the Opening Ceremony of the 29th Olympics in Beijing , China. Wow! The apt, beautifully coordinated and marvelous performances from the starting to the end will be the talking point at coffee shops, cafe and restaurants for a long-long time. It just goes to show that the solidarity and great unity of a nation can bring wondrous results in a world fanfare like this. The stage was set, the world was glued and it was down to the performances & the people of the China who were involved in the historic opening ceremony. They lived up to the expectation of a grand opening ceremony and boy! They gave us a real show of stunt works [ the Chinese scroll thing and the lighting up of the Olympic torch were absolutely stunning! ), acrobatics, great computer graphics, brilliant lighting, extravaganza of fireworks and most important of all living up to the spirit of the Olympics.
Yup! I actually finished watching the whole thing at about 12.30midnight and I was truly & thoroughly entertained. Anyway, at one point of the ceremony, I saw the performers lighting up their costumes with small lights all around their body. That was when I said, " Ooh, I hope they don't get short-circuited, man!" Sigh! No offence meant but there has been so many times when products from China especially their lighting apparatus DO fail miserably in terms of safety standards and so on. As I propped myself up from my bed, I must say, I am proud to be a Chinese, man! I meant, those pretty young women lining up & cheering on the teams during the walking in ceremony! Boy! Approximately, 1 billion population ~ so many choices, man !! Think about it, man !
Coming back to reality, I am amazed by the number of nations in this Olympics. BTW, I have never heard of the country of Eritrea, Tuvalu, Sao Tome & Principe, Nauru, Comoros, Djibouti, Cape Verde, Palau, St.Lucia, St Vincent & Grenadines, Marshall Island , just to name a few! [ There are many more, actually! ] Well, it sure would be interesting to see how these nations fare during the Games.
So, let the Games begin!~

No comments: