Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Second Chance at life.....

I was watching "Jamie's Kitchen - Australia" which premiered on AFC channel and I couldn't believe what I saw and heard. This program is about Jamie Oliver [celebrity chef] opening a restaurant named "Fifteen" in Melbourne , Australia for the delinquent youths of Melbourne to work in that kitchen. He assembled cooking staff in Australia and this team is supposed to pick out twenty youths to have a chance to work in his restaurant. This was all done in the name of giving a second chance at life for these wayward youths. What an impact indeed! In fact, if I am not mistaken, Jamie Oliver actually started this type of program for youths as early as 2002 in London and who would forget the ruckus when he tried re-vamping the food served at British primary schools. I know some people will say he has tons of money and so on to splash but the simple fact that he is helping these youth is an eye opener. I was really taken aback when during the interview time you could actually hear these youths telling of their involvement in drugs as early as 15 years old. That's sad. The other sad part was that these youths age range from 15 - 24 have records of drug abuse, broken homes, getting in trouble with the law enforcement and some of the women are single parents. Gosh! You are talking about Melbourne, Australia, mate! How could it be that way, right? Well, like I said , this is indeed an eye-opener.
The fact that Jamie is trying to provide a new lease of life for these youths are really applaudable and noble indeed. I guess, it just goes to show that when you have a heart to feel what others feel, you would understand fully what you need to do. I guess, many will say that Jamie has an uphill task in this matter but the fact that he tries to do a change is itself an achievement. I would say that no one would give a ghost of a chance to these wayward youths unless you yourself have travelled that road before! I did and I fully understand !~

No comments: