Sunday, August 10, 2008

Financial freedom...at last!

Yunno, you can never truly say that you would have financial freedom until you have settled the very last of your credit card bill, cut it into zillion of pieces and finally dumped the plastic misery in the waste basket. Many times, people used to say that I would never be able to get through my "debts" from credit card. In a world where plastic money abounds, I have become part of that statistics for years. The interest payments , the tight financial situations and sometimes, unavoidable expenditure made us become dependent on credit cards for years. Though I have started tightening my belt and virtually have sparse spending [ seriously, unavoidable ones - like petrol and groceries bills ] for about 2 years, I was still at where I am due to my minimum repayments and high interest rates impounded on my bills. Most of the time, only a small amount was knocked off from the main balance of debt. It really frustrates the hell of out me! There have been times when I would go so crazily mad about it! You wouldn't want to see me at those times, really!~ Then , I decided to take stock of the situation.
That's when I decided that I am going to do a conscientious effort to get rid of credit card - once and for all. So, about a year back, I decided that I would not charge anything on my credit card but make repayments and do my purchases in cash. Sure, there are hard times and I felt very deprived of a lot of wants but not needs ( that's the trick that kills all of us in this plastic world! ) but with great support & help from friends and slowly getting used to pay things with the actual cash I have in hand, I managed it quite well. I don't get things that is beyond me and I spend within my limit, learning to save along the way and make an effort to see the whole scenario in a bigger picture. Get the cheapest available items [ only the needs NOT the "wants" ] in the market without compromising the quality. In all this, I truly give thanks to the Lord for sustaining me!
That's why , early this year 2008, I am more than determined to close this credit card thing as fast as I could. I just needed to get planned purchases using cash systematically and not rely on credit cards. I started to trim a lot of the expenditures while devising budgets. I must say that with discipline spending [ and great help from great friends [ you know who you are ] , I made it. I really made it at long last! It's a real sigh of relief! It's like a big load of burden being lifted off my shoulders! This has been my torn in the flesh for many years and to see a breakthrough in this - I am truly speechless and tears filled my eyes as it's such a relief!
Today, 1.45pm on Monday, 11/8/2008, I now have the financial freedom that I have always wanted and it FEELS GOOD!!! Really, really feel GOOD to be free from credit card debts! I am no more part of the statistics of this country who are burdened by credit card payments. If there is any lesson to be learnt, it would be ~ Always honour our awesome God, have great & encouraging friends and be true to solve this debt systematically! It can be done because I have done it!~ So can you !~ Freedom..........at last!

No comments: