Sunday, August 10, 2008

Golf duty...hole-in-one

Today, I was out on work at a nearby golf course with a colleague. The job - snap photograph of the golfer and the golf ball, get details of golfer and take down in writing the technical stuff on any golfer who could hit a hole-in-one at Hole Course No.4 in a golf tournament. I guess, I've been doing such work at the golf course ever since I started work at my present employment. I must say I have my share of nice occasions, good golfers, good organisers, good meals and sometimes, crappy golfers and lousy organisers.
Most of times, I know that it is a thankless job. Honestly, who in the right frame of mind would sacrifice their Sundays just for this kind of job? BTW, just to clear the air and to clear all misunderstandings, we are not paid for the work we do on Sundays like this. It is the company we worked for that is getting paid on the services rendered by poor souls like us. I am not seeking sympathy or seeking any empathy from anyone. Just treat us like human beings. Gosh! We stand out at the course from as early as 7.00am to about 2.00pm- 4.00pm [ depending on the no. of participants ] and not a single drinks nor food were offered to us. Surely, there should be some decency in treating a person right, right? Thank God, it was windy, breezy and cool today. I remembered that there have been days when it was raining heavily, wet, chilled and even drenched to the underwear, man! There were also days when it was blistering hot, humid and no place for shade! Thank God today, we had chairs and a rather shady place to sit.
All in all, I was just glad being able to go through this with a colleague of mine. Like I said, it isn't easy to sacrifice your Sundays for things like this. It is not often though but most people would not grit their teeth on working on Sundays like this for the fear of losing their job in such difficult times like this. Yeah, jobs are hard to come by these days, so, make do with what you have right now, ok? ~ God bless all you working people out there!~ You are the true champion !

No comments: