Sunday, October 5, 2008

Wedding Dinner.....

When my wife and I were invited to attend a wedding dinner of our good friends, Julian & Yvonne, we couldn't miss the opportunity. It wasn't so much for the food [ though I just love food! ] but the chance to go back to the restaurant where I had my wedding dinner was indeed a chance not to be missed.
It was just nostalgic going back to the restaurant but the restaurant was refurbished. Though I was glad for the new interior decoration and all that, the feeling of being back in the restaurant brought a flood of memories to me. All the merry -making, the noise, the smell and all the celebrations. It was a joyful noise at that time. I could still remember the loud "yamsengs", tables arrangements, catching up with "long lost" relatives, shaking hands with uncles & aunties who insists you install a baby making facility right after your wedding, dad's friends who came to celebrate a good time [ the very same ones who come for his funeral ] and so on. It was a memorable day for me and dad , actually. That was the day, we both looked smart and sharp in our coats, tie and all that stuff. What a memory!

Well, back t0 the dinner, we were seated near the band [ Evergreen was its name! I think from the name you can roughly guess the ages of the singers! ] , the wedding cake and the music speakers! Anyway, We were 'entertained' with songs from the 50' right to the 80's from Frank Sinatra, Cliff Richard, Elvis Presley , Neil Sedaka to Malay numbers! What a combo! You make your own conclusions on this one ! Then, there's this little antics which I saw coming - it's the "I'll sing one song and ended up singing three songs " thingy! All in all, it was fun watching all the singers but kudos to them as it was all in the name of making the function a memorable one for the couple. Anway, I really couldn't help but notice one particular singer who continues to slaughter and butchered the English language with his pronuncitation of words in the English songs. For us at our table, we kept getting choked on our food whenever he sang English songs. It was a really hilarious situation but it was fun.

As for the food, it was the normal cold/hot dish, shark fin soup, roast pig ( my staple food! ), herbal chicken, fish, prawns, vegetables and pudding at the end. No complaints here as this was the one normally served during wedding dinners. At the end of the day, it was the "leng chee kang", "ice kacang" and "iced lychee" that we sought for after the wedding. Incidentally, the proprietor of these drinks started out as a small warong beside the restaurant before moving to a much bigger shop lot-about 8 shop lots away from the restaurant! That to me, my friend, is called progress!

For me, I am still thinking of the juicy roast suckling pig , man! One up for the pig!

1 comment:

crownbacca said...

Thanks Ivan for the really nice blog on the wedding.

Really happy to have such great friends like you and your family. Really hope to see you all again in part 2.