Monday, June 22, 2009

Fishing Fellowship.....

The last time I went fishing was quite some time back. I also remembered that the last time I went fishing at the exact spot a few years ago, I was practically "conned" /vacuumed into the leadership role of RR Melaka # 1. Anyway, I had a good time that night and I still remembered it clearly. So, to get another invitation for fishing and fellowship, I daren't pass up the chance. It wasn't so much for the fishing but it's the fellowship that I was more interested. After receiving the call from my good friend Dinesh, I geared up for the fishing and time of fellowship. Yes, I love the sea and I really had a lot of good times at the sea. There were times in my life that I wish I was a fisherman, really!
Look at it this way - I practically fed/supported myself with the produce from the sea during my teaching days in Sabah and I really had good times going out to the sea and put up my miles long of nets [ 1/2", 3/4" and 1" nets] to catch a variety of fish and crabs. I learnt so much from friends like Cikgu Malijin, Rosli [ still one of my best friend ] , Suhaimi and another local teacher. Most of the time, I went to the sea with Malijin and Rosli. Between us, we caught basin full of crabs, belanak fish [ mullets - big & small ] , grouper and other varieties. So, yeah, I miss the sea a lot. Nowadays, it is even harder to do fishing because of time constraint and the " bising" from the nagging wife!
So, like an eager schoolkid, I got my children, JWee and SYuen to join in theh fun too while SLing was out with her friends attending a high tea function. When we got to our destination near Melaka Club at Tanjong Kling, I set up my fishing gears together with JWee. Dinesh, Abby and the children, Dave and Caleb were excited about the fishing and the fun they could have on the beach. It was high tide and the waves started to come in and I thought, " The fish would be coming too!". After a couple of bites, most of our lines were snagged at the rocks and they could be frustrating trying to retrieve the hooks and sinkers. I think, I lost about half a dozen of sinkers and two-way lines plus hooks due to the rocks. Bah! That's fishing! You win some, you lose some. Anyway, soon after, we were joined by Nelson and his family. It was fun to have Nelson, Sarah and Lydia around for a time of fellowship and fun. Soon, Steven Cheong, Angela, Clement and Claudia plus their family members making this such a fun time of talking, fellowshipping, sharing of thoughts and fishing time.
We shared a lot of good food and had a lot of laughter together. It was fun seeing the children and adults having a good time at the beach. It was more of a relaxing time for each of the family that day. You could see all the tension being wiped off and smiles were all around. Yes, that's relaxing and that's fun.
As for the fishing, I caught a medium size sembilang fish while Dinesh caught a small gelama fish. We both had a great time together. It's not about the size of the fish ~ it's the size and magnitude of fun and fellowship that matters!~

3 comments:

Cecilia Zamira said...

Yes..I heard about the wonderful fishing trip...Dave and Caleb couldn't stop talking about the fish that you wanted to catch to make fish curry...too bad Dinesh's fish can only feed....no one I guess....I think Vive is missing from the picture :)

A Pinch Of Salt said...

Zam:
Thank you for dropping by. It was really good fun out there! Hope to get more fish in the next outing! Wow! News travel fast,man! Ha..ha...ha....

ViveAlive said...

ha ha ha....Yea...I am fishing here in the island.......:-)