Monday, June 8, 2009

Missionary of Deliciousness II .....

Just when you think that after the Balik Pulau experience is over, well, I've got news for you. When we got back together with Kuna & Cheng, they decided to get some 'ang hay', ' bak yu', last year champion species and another type of durian for our friends - Vive, Sathy, BA and Jessy! Afterall, we can't miss out good friends , right? Well, it is like two of every species and Kuna & Cheng 'belanja' them this time. After Kuna & Cheng dropped us off at the condo, we went back to Vive's unit to rest and got some rest. I must say, we were really almost belly up with durians but it was a "shiok" feeling-lar. [ My mouth is still watering from the after taste/after effect of the durians! ]
Later that evening, after dinner, all of us [ Vive, Sathy, BA, Jessy, JWee and SYuen ] went over to Kuna & Cheng's place for Durian Fare 2. To top of the good night of fellowship, Jessy had made some mango, dragonfruit and grape cute jelly pieces to cool down the durian after effect. Very effective way to cool down, actually.
So, as usual, I volunteered to open up the durians and we started wolfing down the choices of durians leaving the "ang hay' last. I had a fun time opening the fruits as I like doing that. It's sorta a challenge to maneuver past the thorns and to crack open the fruit. Once the fruits are opened, our friends started to move in for a fun tasting time. We really had a good time laughing and enjoying ourselves with good ol' days stories and so on. Oh ! What fun we really had! Again, I must thank Kuna & Cheng for allowing us into their home and making us at ease in their home.
When it was down to the last two 'ang hay' durians, all eyes were at it. How do you describe the 'ang hay' durian? Well, it is slightly light brown in color with short spread out sharp thorns. The flesh is slighly golden in color with a dash of light pinkish red running across the main body of the fruit. The taste? Simply heavenly and the best of the best-lar! Everyone agreed including durian lovers BA and Vive that the 'ang hay' durian is the best in the world, man.
Honestly, I just couldn't describe it to you. You'll have to taste it yourself to know how really good this fruit is. It seems that the best 'ang hay' comes from the hilly side of the island. If it is grown in a flat terrain, it won't taste as good as the ones on the hill side. Yeah-lar, I also have learnt from the best of durian growers - people like Mr.Choi and durian lover, Cheng!~Well, it seems that only Penang has this type of species and it is truly a blessing to this state.
Anyway, after completing our durian fare , it was off to the living room for the movie, " Fire proof". This is the third effort of the Kendrick brothers, Alex and Stephen. What a truly wonderful and touching movie. It is about staying strong as husband and wife. It is also about a journey one has to go through in our marriage life. What an inspiring movie though no tears were shed or at least, that's what I know. To be very honest, it was a really good movie. It is a family fare that no one should miss. I will always remember, fireman Caleb words, " You don't leave your partner behind! " and that struck a very chord in my life, I guess. It really made me realise a lot of things that night. I will not let the cat out of the bag when it comes to this movie. You should see it for yourself and check it out on what the storyline meant to you. Their other good effort is the movie " Facing The Giants" whereby Alex Kendrick played the lead role of Shiloh Eagles football team coach who had to go through so much obstacles in his life as a husband, coach and a person. It was really great to see the transformation in his life when God plays a big part in his life. I guess, in some way, we are like that too. We really need God in our lives to lead us out of our slumps during the lean period of time or when things just went out of our control.
That night,we left at about 12.30am and reached Vive's apartment at about 1.10am. The durian taste was still in my mouth while the experience of the movie is attached in my heart. I guess, I had double doses and whammy of goodness & satisfaction. I remembered that before I went to sleep that night , I just prayed, "Dear God, thank you for creating durians! Yeah! Thorny but good, Lord. Just like the ways in our lives too. Amen"~
Now, you didn't think of that, isn't it? Well, start thanking God for everything, ok? ~

No comments: