Monday, June 8, 2009

Missionary of Deliciousness....

When Kuna and Cheng informed my family and I that we are going to have a feast of king of the fruits a.k.a. durians during our visit in Penang, SLing's eyes brightened up. Afterall, she loves durians and couldn't pass up a golden opportunity like that. After a sumptuos meal of dim sum, we were off to Balik Pulau for a time of deliciousness. The journey was an ardous twist and turns of roads , uphill and downhill but the scenic of greenery scenes were a sight to behold. As we arrived in Balik Pulau town, it is an atmosphere of rustic old towns with creative architecture of new and old in one poetic bundle call town development. Though the weather was quite humid and hot, there was a gentle breeze of fresh air to start our fruit culinary day.
A quick call to Mr. Choi and some directions to his new farm, we soon arrived at a rustic home in Titi Teras. In fact, Mr.Choi had made repairs and brought a tasteful rustic, artistic and antique look to the home. I was really impressed with the old architectural Malay uniqueness to the home. I noticed that the surrounding area was covered with big mortar grinders or even hand spice grinders. It was quite a sight. I could still remember mom grinding the spices and chilies with the hand spice grinder which was really a task at that time. Ah! How times have changed! Now, it's a press of the switch, the spices and chillies are grounded to dust by the electrical blender.
I guess, the most beautiful sight of all is seeing durians at their best on the trees. What a beautiful sight, indeed! Though I am not that crazy of durians but some how, I was transformed that day. Seriously, I am not a durian lover. I would probably ate none had it not been the good pestering from Kuna. Mr.Choi started us out with some kampung duriams. Though, the texture was good, rich and aromatic , I still wasn't very impressed with it but I know it was good though. Then Mr Choi said that if we could wait 30 minutes, he would be back with some goodies from his nearby hill farm. We all brightened up immediately while Cheng went on to prepare us some "pu er" tea. We talked, laughed and fellowshipped while we waited anxiously for the arrrival of the special king of the fruits. I also noticed that there were trees of duku langsat where we sat down to sample our tea. It was a like sea of green marbles hanging on the trees. What a sight! Then Cheng went to the back and came back to tell us that there were 38 durian trees in Mr.Choi's plantation and that wouldn't really sustained his living. I guess, that's why he bought another piece of hill side plantation to supplement his passion for the fruits.
A good 30 minutes later, Mr. Choi came back with a basketful of durians. As his assistant who was on another bike came down to unload the goodies, Mr. Choi started to separate the durians according to their species. I was realy very impressed with his passion and skill at picking out the fruits instaneously and with ease. There were about 16 fruits in all. Mr.Choi started to explain to us on how to spot the famous " ang hay"[ red prawn ] durians which is a must taste, must eat and must see species! There were ' bak yu", " last year champion species and "ang hay" [ red prawn ]. Mr. Choi then asked us to sample two of the fruits namely "bak yu" and "ang hay". He then effortlessly opened for us to sample the "ang hay" durian. Before we sample the good stuff, he told us " Once you have taken in to "ang hay" , you'll never want to touch other durians!" I can tell you this, he is ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! The taste and texture of the "ang hay" is simply out of this world. Mind you, this come from a person [ me! ] who doesn't like durians at all, actually. This slightly reddish golden flesh of the durian plus the succulent flesh was really a joy to the tastebud. Yes, the taste was simply out of this world experience! Absolutely convinced that I am loving "ang hay" only same time next year! Man, it was really good and to add further credit to it it's finger licking good!
I really must thank Kuna & Cheng for taking the effort to bring us to such a wonderful place to sample the finest durians in Penang. I am thankful and blessed that Kuna & Cheng had shown us so much love and generosity everytime our family is in Penang. Their simple, humble and caring ways really brings a new level of meaning to friendship and fellowship. Thank you so much, Kuna & Cheng! I am a "converted" durian eater because of these two special people, Kuna & Cheng!
From the bottom of my heart, Thank you so much, Kuna & Cheng!~ My family and I have been blessed indeed!~

No comments: