Friday, June 26, 2009

Flashback - MJ

Yesterday when I came to know from sms and the Internet that one of the all-time greatest icon in pop music, Michael Jackson passed away, I was a litle bit shocked and taken aback. Sure, I know that Michael Jackson was 50 years old but I couldn't imagine that he would pass away so suddenly. In Hollywood terms, he died early, actually. I must say though that I am not into the Hollywood stuff but I've seen some great musicians, singers and composers lived through longer that the 50 year old zone. Anyway, God knows better, right? When the time comes, when your number is up, you have to say "goodbye" and move upwards then. I guess, I was kinda sad knowing that Michael Jackson, the musician, artist and performer would not be around anymore. Only his record sales and mere memories will live on. Just like any other superstar or megastar, he may be eccentric, weird , problematic and whatsoever his life may be labelled, the bottom line is that he is really a good performing artist. I am not going to dissect the morality or life preferences or even his personal being because to me , that's private and we should respect that. I am interested only in his music.
Yesterday evening, as SLing and I watched some of MJ performances over songs like " Heal The World", " USA for Africa", " Black or White", " Beat It", " Thriller", "Ben" and the list goes on, you can't help and marvel at this artist. He really is a great performing artist, musician and a pop icon.
Yeah! I got a taste of MJ music at quite a young age, actually. Didn't quite like Jackson 5 songs particularly but like only the songs individually sung by MJ. As my uncles and aunties were music lovers, I kinda get a taste of English songs then. Boy, that was way back in the 6o's, 70's, 80' but right through to the 90's and present time, I am still a fan of MJ. By todays' standard, the music at my time would be categorised as oldies and softies. Never mind, at least, those music were an ease to the ears unlike the present day music which is good too but simply too loud or incoherent at times. Well, like I used to say to my children, "one man's food is another man's poison". So, it's actually down to your preference and your individual taste. To me, I like all kinds of music including classical music and opera music. So, I am not that particular about music. Currently, I kinda like Rain [ Korean artist ] music and a few others. Just enjoying music as it is!
Coming back to MJ, I guess, he has his own eccentric ways and own lifestyle and what not but at the end of the day, he produces really great music. His songs and music appeal and really a treat to both the young and the old. I still marvelled at his moonwalk dance steps and also the dance steps in "Moonwalker" video. Wow, really breathtaking to see an artist like that doing stuff that no artist can come close to in performances. It was really a solid performance.
I guess, as years go by, his songs are focused on mother nature , children and humanity. These are good stuff, I tell you. I guess, I must say that MJ is really a gem, talented and gifted pop artist. Yeah! You'll probably say that we all heap praises only when the artist dies and so on but the sad truth is that MJ will always be remembered as a really superb & gifted artist.
To be honest, I haven't seen anyone doing the moonwalk or the body slant better than MJ. This is indeed something to marvel at especially his talent. The incorporation of such suave dance moves and artistry gives MJ a standing that is incomparable. This is the one and only Michael Jackson, man!
I still remember dancing to his upbeat songs during the younger days - still do it, though! Nowadays, it is more to sweat it out a bit! A little older, a dash [ sorry, dollop! ] of white hair here and there but still enjoying the music. I guess, in a way, MJ has touched lives out there somehow. Thank you for the music, Michael Jackson!~

No comments: