Monday, June 15, 2009

Mom's "Bak Chang"...

When I got back from work yesterday evening, SLing said something about my mom doing a special treat for her grandchildren namely JWee and SYuen. Tired, as usual, I was partially deaf nor awake but I remembered that I did hear something from SLing. The rest was just a blur though. Shrugging it off, I went up to have my bath and freshening up. It was good to unwind and relax after a long day. Yesterday, I had travelled to Bahau and it was tiring because of the twist and turns into the place I was supposed to go but the scenery was kinda nice. Oh!Yes, plenty of durians , rambutans and mangosteen for sale along the roads. Well, "lomang" a.k.a. lemang were also sold along the road to Bahau. The colors and sounds were pretty exciting. As usual, I could really feel the strain from travelling from one place to another but it's all okay with me. It's just work, though. No complains here! I don't know, it's so different when you are driving during the holidays time and when you are at work!
When I arrived in Bahau, I immediately searched out my intended case workplace. Then , I headed out to have a quick chow down at a nearby place. Upon arriving, I was asked by the proprietor[ stroke victim ] if I wanted to have some food. I answered positively and then he told me that he couldn't help me on the scooping of rice and dishes while I have to do it myself. I replied that I was alright and would get it myself. I spoke to him that he should be resting and seek recovery instead of attending to the food business. He instaneously replied that " wa gian lui, mah" - [ Hokkien translation : I just love money! ] and laughed. His wife, a big burly woman came out and said the same thing but added that the economy is bad that they couldn't afford to rest as the scenario is very much tougher nowadays. I just shook my head and ate my rice quietly. Then as I did my work, again when I asked the proprietor on her working days, she replied Mondays to Sundays. As usual and out of spontaneous stupidity, I blurted the question," You are wokring on Sundays too?" You've guessed the answer! "Wa Gian Lui-mah!", she replied and laughed. Then , she needlessly went on to explain the need to feed the family and the children and the saga continues. I see the mother's heart here but I guess, everyone has got their reasons for doing so , right?
Coming back to my mom's surprise, well, due to her love for the grandchildren , she made 7 pieces of special "bak chang" for them. The triangular based is about 4" and height is about the same too. Really, really big "bak chang"-lar. I was secretly informed that the children told my mom that the regular "bak chang" she gave was too small and 3bites - they are gone. So, they managed to "kechek" [ Nyonya/BM for " sweet talk " ] my mom to do bigger ones for them. I am sure SLing had a part to play too though she pleaded innocence! I know that out of the grand goodwill and abundance of love in her heart, my mom would do it for the children. I am really thankful to mom for loving the children so strong. Yeah , new jargon to use - I love you so strong! [ Thanks, Stefanie! ]
The last time I checked i.e. this morning, the "bak chang" were still intact at 7 pieces. I know, it'll be down to four come dinner time! BTW, I am without my spectacles today while at work. [ I left it on the table this morning as I rushed to work! ] So, every word is a blur to me and I am quite miserable without it as I had to strained my eyes to see and to type words! Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhh! I am going for a coffee break!~

3 comments:

Cecilia Zamira said...

Hello friend...lately you have been commenting so much on food...yummy...wow the bak chang is not only big it must definitely be delicious coz it was made with a lot of love....Cheers!

Liz Teh said...

Wow! What huge bak changs! I just lurve changs! When i was young, neighbours used to give us a whole "ikat". We always look fwd to chang season. Now...nobody give us chang anymore *sob* and to buy it's mahal and also dunno nice or not. *sigh* U're blessed brother! :)

A Pinch Of Salt said...

Zam:
Thank you so much! Food is mu forte-lar! Look at the size and you'll know. Ha...ha....Cheers!

Liz:
Hey, nice to hear from you. Ya-lor, I love the sweet changs but the tradition is slowly diminishing - the giving part. Sad a bit. Only mom is doing bak chang nowadays. Sister have picked up the skills. Will put you on the chang list of recipients!